Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LED Bulbs Maintain Turn Signal Running Lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Bulbs Maintain Turn Signal Running Lights?

Ray and Phil rejuvenated my interest in LED turn signal bulbs. Right now, all four turn signals are acting as running lights. If I switch to LED bulbs, will they work in the same manner?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Yes, but the flasher will not work. You would need to put in a resistor, or change out the flasher to an electronic one and loose the self cancel feature. There ARE work arounds, if you do a search you should find the threads. Just remember to get the brightest LED in the same color as the lens, amber lens, amber LED (or yellow).
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I had to put diodes in on each side of the turn signal/running light circuit to make it all play nice. I am not absolutly positive but I am pretty sure that I put the diodes in the turn signal side of the lights wiring. I put the up in the front on the fairing since there was lots of space to do it.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Lol, everybody gets caught-up on the auto-cancel, but how many of us kill the signal prior to it self-canceling? I do, so it won't be an issue. However, what will be an issue will be the fact that I'm on the highway @ 5:15a. So, visibility is a HUGE concern for me. Those rear running lights add that visibility. HIGH POWER led's will be a major hunt for me.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          Yes, but the flasher will not work. You would need to put in a resistor.
          Putting in a resistor negates any gain you would get by switching to leds.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well, I am no rocket surgeon, but I put Jam Straight LEDs in the Tail/brake lights, and it seemed that I had to use regular bulbs for turn signals on either the fronts or the rears, otherwise nothing worked right. Yes, you need to use electronic flasher units and you lose self-cancelling...that is something that you get used to.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I don't want to turn this into another LED bulb thread, as there are many already out there. I can attest to the fact that regular LED bulbs suck, and the high power one's are good. I'll look into it again down the road. Gotta start saving money for a few things.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                Well, I am no rocket surgeon, but I put Jam Straight LEDs in the Tail/brake lights, and it seemed that I had to use regular bulbs for turn signals on either the fronts or the rears, otherwise nothing worked right.
                It has nothing to do with the brand of bulb. The way the circuitry is designed inherently allows feedback into the other side of the bulb. That feedback is not enough to light the filament on an incandescent bulb, but it is enough to screw with an led system.

I had led rear and incandescent front turn signals for a long time and never had an issue. When I finally decided to commit to led then I had to finally dig in and figure out what the issue was, and it was the feedback in thE turn/running light circuit. Only way to solve it was the diodes in the system.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X