Rear Master Cylinder leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Master Cylinder leaking

Hi on my 78E the MC leaking can these be rebuilt with a kit or need to be replace if so what's the best kit can one put in it and are the MC's all the same from 78-81 or are they different just want to get the proper kit is all and where is a good place to find one ..

Thanks

Rick
    XS11E 1978

Past Bikes that I owned
    H1 Kawasaki 500 1972
    CB 750K Honda 1978
    CB 750K Honda 1979
    Triumph 500 Daytona 1968
    Triumph 650 Bonny 1969

Yes, the rear MC can be easily rebuilt. Much easier than the front MC actually. I can't recommend any one site specifically, as I just bought one off ebay. And, yes, all the rear MC's in that year range are the same. If you're going to be rebuilding it, might be a good time to switch to a S/S braided brake line, as you'll have to re-bleed the brake lines anyways. My-as-well re-build the caliper if you have not done so already . . .
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

They're not all the same..... The '81 LH and '82 XJ bikes have a 'split' braking system and use different cylinders and brakes. It will also pay to verify that the bore on yours is 1/2" (it will have '1/2' cast into the body) before ordering a kit as I have ran into some that have a 14mm bore. The 1/2" bore is the correct size....

As Ian said, rebuild kits are available from multiple vendors; Georgefix on eBay is one, PartsNMore is another....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Fellas

Tried Georgiefix's site on Ebay no luck there. I've ordered my petcock kits from him in the pass awesome guy to deal with. I found a kit at Parts N More hopefully its the right one time will tell should have it by the weekend..
        XS11E 1978

Past Bikes that I owned
        H1 Kawasaki 500 1972
        CB 750K Honda 1978
        CB 750K Honda 1979
        Triumph 500 Daytona 1968
        Triumph 650 Bonny 1969

Comment

www.georgefixs.com

You might have better luck there.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

leak

I assume you have the m/c off the bike. I'm not sure where the leak was, you never mentioned it, but I just want to remind you that there is an O ring that should be replaced. It sits in a channel in the m/c body between the reservoir shoulder and the base. The channel needs to be cleaned very well to ensure an adequate seal, same as the similar channel in the calipers which seals around the pistons.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

Working...
            X