ticking noise from top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticking noise from top

I've just got my bike running after rebuild last week... have about 70 miles on it. There is a ticking noise that sounds like an exhaust leak or a lifter tick coming from the top of the engine. Can the valve shims make a noise like that if they are loose?

When the engine is cold, it doesn't make the sound; it only occurs after the engine is warmed up. It's most noticeable to me around 4k, after that I can't really hear it much because of the wind and just the normal noise of the engine. The engine has good compression, I have 185psi all the way.

Here is a video of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycD...ature=youtu.be
    1980 XS1100SG
    1998 KLR 650

Yeah, that sounds like an exhaust leak. Attempt to snug-up those nuts without snapping the stud. If tight and sound still there, you might want to be sure it's not a bent valve: pull the valve cover and check the valve lash on all four intake/exhaust valves. Follow that up with a compression check. If all checks out, you may have to pull the pipes and check your gaskets.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hey Bottle,

Okay, could be an exhaust leak, could be just slightly loose valve lash, could be just too thin of low viscosity of oil...what type are you using? Recommended is 20/50 of your brand choice...from Walmart to GTX, etc.. Once the bike is warmed up the oil is a bit thinner and could allow more noise, however the parts usually expand as warms up and the valve clearance can actually narrow a bit. Good compression values but were they cold or warm? But probably not a worry....if making ticking warm, the valve clearance is probably not too tight/narrow...which could then cause a drop in compression IF the valve(s) weren't closing completely when warm, but would also be quieter/less noisy/ticky.

Using a match...preferrably those nice long grill lighting type..and hold it around the header pipes to see if you can see it flicker. Also can use a wooden dowel for a mechanic stethoscope to check if you hear it INSIDE the engine/valve cover or not. As stated, if a leaking exhaust gasket, tightening up the header nuts might help...but if the gaskets are already compressed from years, then you may need to replace them to again attain a proper seal.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X