Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Quandry

Hello all,

I've been coming to this board over the years and have used most of the information available and found it to be excellent.

I have owned 2 XS11s in the last 6 years. My First was a 79 Special that Used to reside in a cow pasture. I traded it for a beater of a car. After a few months spent cleaning and tweaking it I put it on the road and instantly found the meaning of life. I road that XS for 2 years and never had a problem with it.

My wife and I had another child and I had to trade it for an extended cab truck to fit us all. During this time I also bought a Goldwing from the Junkyard for $300 and rebuilt it. That 81 GL1100 is still running strong ond is only 65000 miles young.

With the goldwing I was still missing the feeling of the ride I got on the XS. So last year I talked my wife into letting me get another bike. So, the hunt was on for an XS. Within the first week I meet this guy who said he had a friend with one in his garage. He said it had been there for as long as he could remember. I went over to his house and Caught a glimpse of it under some burlap sacks.

It wasn't a 79 Special but an 80 standard with Fairing. Got a closer look and to my amasement only 15000 miles on it. The paint was emaculate and the seat was still all in one piece.

I asked this guy what he wanted for it and he told me that it hadn't been driven for at least 15 years and hadn't been registered Since 1982. He siad that it would probably not be worth much and said I could take it for $150 Cash. SOLD!!! I exclamed, pulled out the cash and loaded the bike into the back of my truck.

I got the bike home and opened the tank it was totally empty of gas but had an oily film in it. It had no rust, no goo, and the oily film was easy to wipe out.

Drained the oil wich was still a golden color and fild it back up after changing the filter. Filled the tank and watched for a minute or two for leaks. No Leaks

Replaced the battery, Set the Choke, Put in the key and turned it on, pressed the starter button and it came to life. Little sputtery, and didn't have the throttle response it should but I decided it was running good enough to take it for a spin anyway. took it for a 5 mile around the block drive and it drove and handled great. I could tell right away though that the carbs needed cleaned because it was hesitant at some points and it didn't have that snap your neck acceleration I was used to on the 79 Special.

I have thoroughly cleaned the carbs out 3 times. But it still seems to be lacking power. first through third has good power but in any gear if I wrench on the throttle it doesnt jump and accelerate like it should. Don't get me wrong it still goes faster but not like I think it should. 5th gear however has almost no acceleration at all. I remember being able to wrench on the gas in fifth and it wiould feel like I dropped a gear and instantly overtook anyone on the 79.

Whats the deal with this one? am I hoping for too much? Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

On a more postive note. My old 79 XS is in good hands, My brother bought it from the guy I gave it to for my truck. So, its back in the family.

Thanks in advance.
    1980 XS1100G
    1981 Honda GL1100 "Naked"

Check the advance mechanisms and make sure they are moving smoothly.

Do a compression check...make sure all 4 cyclinders are pulling their weight.

What jets are in the carbs? How does the air filter look? Any leaks in the intake boots?

How about the strength of the spark? I know you have a new battery, but you might have some poor connections that are robbing some power.
    Dan
    1980 XS11 Special

Comment

Forgot to mention I also changed the spark plugs and I am getting spark on all 4 Cyl.

Thanks for the quick reply!
      1980 XS1100G

Comment

Could not edit so here is more info.

I will check the Spark and compression when I get home from work. It was my impression with so few miles that compression would not be an issue.

I did not check what the jet sizes were when I had the carbs off so I will look at that too. Air Cleaner was filthy when I got it. I replaced it though so it is new.

Checked the advance yesterday actually and it moves freely and when I suck through the hose the mechanism moves and holds a vacuum.

I also noticed some surface cracks in the boots but nothing all the way through. I coated them with tool rubberizor so they look good and seal the surface cracks.
        1980 XS1100G

Comment

Frankly, I think the situation with your XS is hopeless. In a stunning gesture of charity, I will gladly buy the worthless bike for the $150 you spent on it.
          2010 Kawasaki Z1000
          1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Shawn,

What Dan mentioned about the advance mechanism(s) includes the mechanical one BEHIND the vacuum advance plate. That's the one that gets sticky. The grease hardens and you get no initial advance. Pull the vacuum advance plate and the mechanical one will pull right off. Don't loose the locating pin. Good luck with your new ride.

Randy

Comment

Hey there Shawn,

Congrats on a terrific find!! Being in Salt Lake City, Utah, I would imagine the humidity is next to nill, and the bike was kept in a garage, so hopefully there wasn't much in the way of condensation, but with winter, rain storms, etc., unless the bike was stored with OIL inside the cylinders, then there still is a chance that the cylinders did get a bit rusty.

After you do your comp. test, if they measure out relatively even, then it may be a matter of doing a long run to reseat the rings-scrub the rust out, burn off the carbon, loosen the rings around the pistons, some folks suggest the MM oil technique. You might want to actually avoid WOT for a while to let the topend settle back down and get freed up.

Getting spark and getting a strong spark are different. Did you inspect the connectors for corrosion, you might want to and clean them while you're there, especially the ones involving the ignition circuits, check the fuse block connectors and fuses.

You have already triple cleaned the carbs, but a 1/4 can of Sea Foam or Techroline wouldn't hurt, along with trying the HIGH TEST/93 octane!? Good luck, keep us posted............
              unless you can't type later cause your arms got pulled out of their sockets!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sometimes 'triple' is not enough Then again, you might also want to check your rotors next time you have it out for a spin. Run it up to speed for a while, then try to more or less coast to a stop, with a minimal amount of brake application. If things are working properly, the rotors should be cold to the touch. If they are at all warm, and especially if they are hot to the touch, they are dragging too much. That may be where some of your power is going.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

OK,

Checked out everything last night and discovered that the number 4 exhaust header is cold to the touch while running.

Spark is excellent and the bowls are full of gas.

I was positive I was getting gas through all the carbs. I tiped them forward and gas came out the Passage on all 4 carbs when I cleaned them. What could be the problem now?

Also number 3 was running cooler than numbers 1 and 2. Bike was on side stand so I brought it up level and ran it for a while and number 3 heated up to the same level as numbers 1 and 2 but number 4 was still cold (I could grab it with my hand).
                  1980 XS1100G

Comment

Originally posted by shawn
                    OK,

Checked out everything last night and discovered that the number 4 exhaust header is cold to the touch while running.

Spark is excellent and the bowls are full of gas.

I was positive I was getting gas through all the carbs. I tiped them forward and gas came out the Passage on all 4 carbs when I cleaned them. What could be the problem now?

Also number 3 was running cooler than numbers 1 and 2. Bike was on side stand so I brought it up level and ran it for a while and number 3 heated up to the same level as numbers 1 and 2 but number 4 was still cold (I could grab it with my hand).
                    Try a new set of spark plug caps. They could be leaking spark under power.

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Or you can switch the actual plugs around. I had one set that I got that had 3 bad out of 4. They tested fine when out of the engine, but somehow didn't spark when in the compression chamber. Changed the plugs and all is dandy.

-Justin

Comment

Tommystinson, you'll be wasting your time trying to fix that bike, so when you get it, put it on the nearest ship and send it down here please. I'll give you $250 for it. Thank you.

Comment

LOL I paid $150 for mine knowing how bad the condition was. I wouldn't even let it go for a grand. (Well... Maybe...) But as it is, I'm knee deep in engine and I'm the happiest I've ever been. I can't even imagine what it'll be like when I ride it for the first time.
                          Tony K.
                          TonimusMaximus
                          Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
                          New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Working...
                          X