Question Regarding Thread Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Thread Sizes

So, again I purchased another pair of air shocks. To my disappointment, the fitting thread size is not the same thread size as the CB1000 air shocks. So, I do some researching and find that the schrader valve size is 1/8" NPT. What??? I measure the thread size of the bolt/plug, and see it's 25/64, closest size down is 3/8". I don't find any 3/8" Schrader valves. So . . . I come to the realization that I have no idea what to think.

Does NPT threads measure differently than normal standard vs. metric threads?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

YES!!! The NPT stands for National Pipe Thread, IIRC. Pipes measure by inside diameter, NOT outside like EVERYTHING ELSE! You should be able to find a fitting to go from the NPT to schrader, but I'm not sure about it. The other thing is to run nylon tubes between the shocks, and put a schrader valve someplace on the tube. That I KNOW can be done.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
    X