It's all together but not running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's all together but not running

My 79 xs1100 special is built. New 1 size over pistons and rings, Cylinder head cleaned and new valve steam seal put in. I also rebuit the carb.

2 weeks ago I had it running but the cam chain adjuster didnt deploy causing the cam chain to come off the sproket. I got some loud pinging. Fixed the problem and repaired the cam chain adjuster.

All looks good and sounds okay. But it will not fire. Nothing, a couple of loud pops but that's it. Pulled the carbs and re did the bread tie method. All needles set to one a quarter turn from a slightly seated positon. Pulled the plugs and they are dry. The plugs are sparking.

What should I do now?

Help, I'm losing riding time
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

Try turning your idle mixture screws 1.5 to 2 turns out (from lighly seated) Make certain the tips did no break off in the holes.
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Won't Fire

I hate to suggest this but if your cam chain slipped and now the engine will not fire!
      Pull the plugs and do a compression test. It is a very good possibility that you have bent some valves. Sorry for the bad news but there is no room for error between the valves ands the piston crowns.
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyk
      82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

ratbyk

Have to go with rat on this one,why would you even think its carb related? it was running you said.cam chain slipped off? THAT IS THE FIRST RULE. DO NOT turn crank with cams not connected and timed properly. A collision WILL insue.Hey the guy even yelled at me when i said i was taking the cams out of the engine to turn it over for cam chain replacement.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Response to my last thread

No compression, going to replace the valves
          Tim Lowe
          "Teck"
          1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

A few years ago I brought an XS11 off a bloke which had a whole new set of valves, valve guides, seats, camchain etc.. etc .. replaced. You know why don't you? The cam adjuster holding nut had loosened and the whole GD'ed top end got demolished. That one trivial loose nut cost him big bucks.

**Sorry PGG, had to change text to "PG" rating, vs. your PGG!! T.C.
            Last edited by TopCatGr58; 05-18-2004, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Re: Response to my last thread

Originally posted by teck_mountain
              No compression, going to replace the valves
              Hey there Teck,

Sorry to hear that, but several of us have been there!!! I merged your reply to your original thread, no need to create extra threads when a pertinent one already existed! Good Luck!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the help

Pulled my cylinder head and all exhaust valves are badly bent. Thank you all for the good advice. Hope to be up and running by the end of next week. Stay tuned

Teck
                Tim Lowe
                "Teck"
                1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Tech_Mountain, after you have replaced the exhaust valves but before you put the head back on I would suggest that you:
                  Install an old set of spark plugs.
                  Turn the head over.
                  Pour some varsol or other solvent into the combustion chambers.
                  Take a flash light and look for any seepage of solvent down into the ports.
                  This confirms that the valves are doing there job of sealing the cylinders.
                  I find it hard to believe that only the exhaust valves were bent. If the intakes tipped the pistons they may be bent to the point that you cannot see the problem but compression and combustion pressures will certainly find it and you will be taking the head off again. Just a little extra step before reassembling. Could save a lot of work and frustration.
                  Ken/Sooke
                  78E Ratbyk
                  82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Hey there Teck,

Ditto on what Ken/Ratbyke said, I had bent a few on mine, replaced the ones that were obvious, but didn't really check them all, had the engine all back together, NO COMP in #3 cylinder, had to tear it down again, and after removing the springs, I spun the valve in the head and could then see a slight wobble, replaced it and it's been great since!!! You don't want to have to go back in there again!!!
                    Good luck. T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                    X