All In One Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All In One Guage

So I have stared at my old gauges for a good long while and I have decided the square look just isn't for me. And as I'm working my way through this bike and updating things, like lighting to LED, I wouldn't mind updating the gauges as well. But being one who hates to re-invent the wheel and knowing that there are many brilliant people on this site that have more then likely done these kinds of things to their bike already, I shall ask the community and see what comes of it.

So I'm looking for some kind of all in one gauge for tach, speed, fuel, neutral indicator, blinker indicator. Either electronic, or mechanical, I'm not picky. But I like the slim and stream lined look which is why I would like some form of all in one. Does anyone have any examples of what they have used and what manufactures make the good to best equipment for this kind of thing. I'm going to make the assumption I won't find this on the bargain rack somewhere. But any help would be greatly appreciated!
    79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Howdy sir! Yes, a few members have used a few different gauges. Acewell is one, Trailtech being the other. Both have mixed reviews. However, unless you are knowledgable with regard to the XS wiring diagrams and can think outside the box on how to make things work, I'd suggest keeping stock gauges, and wiring either gauge is not for a novice. Gas gauge, and tachometer will be a struggle due to how they work exclusively to our bikes. Contact TheRev or TopCatCG on this forum, and AussiXS11G on the Aussie forum for ideas.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Acewell has small clocks you can wire into every sending unit on your bike, including fuel level and oil pressure. Dime City is one of the vendors that sell the Acewell. They look high quality up close and I've heard no negative reviews. Another bonus to that unit will be losing the speedo cable. Google search for an XS650 speedo drive blank plug. It will fit the XS1100 standard.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        Acewell has small clocks you can wire into every sending unit on your bike, including fuel level and oil pressure. Dime City is one of the vendors that sell the Acewell. They look high quality up close and I've heard no negative reviews. Another bonus to that unit will be losing the speedo cable. Google search for an XS650 speedo drive blank plug. It will fit the XS1100 standard.
        Well, there are some write-ups on the Aussie site regarding the Acewell gauges. Some disappointing experiences even with the $350+ some of the gauges cost.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I'm guessing from here I will have to look at getting an XS750 guage setup. The green will fit the new color scheme nicely. Otherwise I'll see if I can pick up a second block set of guages and work on modifying it to fit into a smaller round block. Not sure how that will turn out but I'm willing to try anything And it is a good excuse to finish putting together the 3D printer!
          79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Comment

If you want round, get a set off the Special. The 750 Speedo works, but the tach on the 750 is mechanical, not electric like the XS1100. Also, the special fuel sender is just a "low fuel" light, and the float is backwards from the standard fuel gauge float. You can do the mods, you just need to work on it for a while...
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey there,

Here's a thread where I did an electronic all in one gauge conversion.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=speedo+tach

YMMV, info about sending units and such may also help, and this/these type of gauges won't break the bank! The photos start on page 3.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                Hey there,

Here's a thread where I did an electronic all in one gauge conversion.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=speedo+tach

YMMV, info about sending units and such may also help, and this/these type of gauges won't break the bank! The photos start on page 3.

T.C.
                That was a really good thread! Lots of good information! Made me realize that going digital really won't be as hard as I thought it might be

Comment

Working...
                X