Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caliper Mounting Holes on Fork Legs: Can They Be Tapped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper Mounting Holes on Fork Legs: Can They Be Tapped?

Mounting the R6 Calipers on the XS via an adapter bracket necessitates that I run a bolt through the bracket, through the fork leg mount hole, then a nut on the inside to tighten it together. I was wondering if I could instead tap the holes on the fork legs that the original calipers mounted to, and run my flange bolts into them?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Yes. you can tap them. Problem is getting the proper size tap and bolt. I'm not sure, but I think a 12mm MAY work. You will need to measure the hole in the fork, and check tap sizes to match the proper size. Keep in mind, it may be easier to drill out slightly to get a good thread. So you might be into a 13mm or 14mm bolt size.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You will really struggle to get M13 and M14 bolts and taps.

The other alternative I did on a set of Jap forks when uprating the calipers (not XS11) was Helicoil the hole, the hole was too big to tap out to a decent size and the next size up was way too big, but the existing hole was ideal tapping soze for the helicoil. Insert fitted and use of M10 bolt again.

Another alternative is use a nut on the back.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

M10 clearance hole if anybody is curious.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

How do you guys feel about me using heli-coil inserts in the fork legs and tightening bolts into them, versus a bolt and nut?
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

A properly-installed helicoil is stronger than a hole into just aluminum. And I've done this trick multiple times, using a helicoil to reduce a hole size. The one tip I'd add to this is liberally apply Loctite to the coil when installing it, to prevent it from 'turning though' the hole when installing the bolt. I've also done this to convert from metric to more-easily-found 'standard' hardware when doing mods.
            Last edited by crazy steve; 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I use nuts and bolts with my adapter plates, makes it a little more difficult for installation having to hold the nut in that narrow space to get it started.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I would like to see a picture of how that looks on the bike!
                '79 XS11SF

Comment

Fellow forum member had concerns pertaining to the aluminum being brittle. I'll throw some M10 heli coil inserts in and see what happens.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Use plenty of cutting oil, and back off the tap often.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I used to be

an assembly tech for a goverment subcontractor and we used helicoils in a lot of places to make sure that threaded items didn't strip out of the softer aluminum.

+1 on the locktite, go red!
                      79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                      73 & 74 RD 350's
                      73 Honda CL 450
                      Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Helicoil and locktite will work but I personally would use the nut and bolt because if I bear down on my brakes going fast I don't want to be thinking I wish thoughts.

I wish I'd used a stupid nut
                        I wish I was going slower
                        I wish Bambi would get out of the road
                        I wish I had more insurance

To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends
                        Rear trunk add-on
                        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                          Helicoil and locktite will work but I personally would use the nut and bolt because if I bear down on my brakes going fast I don't want to be thinking I wish thoughts.

I wish I'd used a stupid nut
                          I wish I was going slower
                          I wish Bambi would get out of the road
                          I wish I had more insurance

I hear this from a few Ron. Can anybody say (I'm no metalurgist), that a bolt going through the hole with a nut on the other side is stronger than a bolt threaded into the hole?
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Remember, those bolts will be in shear, not tension; the same forces whether there's nut there or not. Also remember that the OEM caliper brackets are threaded aluminum, and you haven't heard any reports of those failing, have you?...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              Remember, those bolts will be in shear, not tension; the same forces whether there's nut there or not. Also remember that the OEM caliper brackets are threaded aluminum, and you haven't heard any reports of those failing, have you?...
                              Hey Steve,

Can you provide info regarding which bolts are more resistant to the shear forces, the grade 5 vs 8? Also I think Metric uses a different grading system as well, just can't recall all of the details. Ian may know this, but others reading may not and may appreciate the full info.

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X