Newbie finds 1/8 clearance for tranny repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie finds 1/8 clearance for tranny repair

Just wanted to share my first time tranny removal and reinstall. I removed and re-installed my counter shaft with gears a dozen times to get procedure down to just minutes.

Worries
    1. Does everything have to stay exactly as it is as the cover is taken off...in other words how much can i spin the gears, shift, play move stuff around and it not effect a damn thing... unlike trying to keep everything lined up for correct timing... so everything will go back into its place upon reinstall.

Answer
    1. Play all you want. All the gears mesh together so if installed correctly on the shaft they only go in one way. In fact rotating the primary shaft seems to unload some meshing pressure on both removal and install. To be honest I thought nothing could be moved, rotated or everything would be messed up upon reinstall.

#3 Shift fork (the one furthest away from 5th gear) is not your friend. It is in your way on both removal and install.

Counter shaft with gears always gets jammed the last 1/8 inch before coming out and during install. Hell yeah that is frustrating.

Fifth gear hard to get off and on just rotate primary shaft slightly it comes right off and right on after that.

Lets reinstall counter shaft with gears best procedure is as follows:
    1. Set the counter shaft with gears installed into case and very important get #3 fork engaged in its place on the shaft.... Now if you try and install you will be 1/8 off and jammed. Crap why why why? You MUST let the driven gear and 1st gear slide almost off the end of the shaft and 1st gear must slide off its bearing that creates the 1/8 inch clearance you need and allows the entire shaft to drop down and line up with hole in case. Now get 1st gear bearing slid back into place and with #3 fork still engaged slide the shaft all the way in opposite #5 gear. Rotating primary shaft if any slight binding occurs will always be your friend.

Removal best procedure is as follows:
    1. Slide fifth gear off if binding rotate primary shaft
    2. Keep #3 shift fork engaged onto counter shaft and start sliding counter shaft towards fifth gear, when driven gear and 1st slide almost off the shaft and 1st gear off its bearing this will create the 1/8 clearance and now completely remove the counter shaft with gears. Remember any slight binding can be overcome by turning primary shaft.

Conclusion: Finding the 1/8 clearance and how to duplicate it over and over made the job so easy, with out the 1/8 clearance it just binds and curse words will soon follow.

Hope this helps any and everyone.
    1979 F worst one i could find
    to convert into a bobber/ streetfighter!

We can't all get along!

I might have to play with the tranny in my spare engine just so that I can have an opinion on these things.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I've been working strong on my rebuild as well, the above described procedure is razor sharp accurate. I also installed and removed the trans and shift forks 10-15 times to ensure I had an extremely thorough grasp of the labyrinth of variables. I also experimented with the washer on 1st gear, alternating sides similar to the 2nd gear washer relocation mod, to try and locate the 1st gear a nudge closer...after 6 tries I sighed and concluded that the 1st gear and middle drive gear on the end of that shaft absolutely need factory washer location.
      Matt
      81H Rebirth/Custom Build
      1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
      PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
      http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Comment

Arthur_of_Hex thanks for backing me up on this procedure. I spent 1/2 day on a Saturday only managing to get 5th gear out and wanting to put a torch to #3 shift fork because it was always stopping my progress. Being self taught I know there is always a trick to everything then it becomes so simple. I managed to remove and install the complete counter shaft and gears a few times on Sunday
        but couldn't duplicate the procedure just felt like dumb luck. Backed away for a few days then went real slow and was able to duplicate the above procedure over and over eliminating the dumb luck and replacing it with ez pz.

We can't all get along!

Comment

Sure would hate to see this procedure just get lost in the millions of threads.... needs to be considered as an amendment to second gear fix...Admin?

We can't all get along!

Comment

Thanks for the reminder and the good work, I copied it and merged it with an addendum that Tod had posted regarding the washer swap.... in this thread/tip: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37214

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

awesome

TC,
              Anyway to make this info a quick find ?
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Thank you TC

We can't all get along!

Comment

Working...
                X