Need help troubleshooting why headlight has no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help troubleshooting why headlight has no power

The bulbs is fine, problem is I'm getting no power to it. Me and a friend have scratched our heads long enough,...need help..lol. Any and all ideas are welcome. Fuse is fine and line does not seem to be cut. It worked in the fall when I put her away.
    Rob - 79 SF

diode

There is a diode in the harness before it gets to the bucket. They are usually marked with white tape. Mine was on the tank side almost at the yoke. You could start there. I can't remember off hand but someone here knows what the compatable car part number was for a replacement.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

Comment

If it is a 79, there is no diode in the harness, it is contained in the headlight relay. You can try bypassing the relay (safe) by unplugging it's 4 wire connector and jumping red/yel and blu/blk wires in the harness plug. Headlight should hopefully come on with the key in the on position.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

And if that doesn't work, you might try cleaning-up the connector from the alternator. It is behind the fuse panel plate. One of the wires (looks like 4 whites but one may be pale yellow?) will power the "lighting unit" which also is a solenoid to turn the light on (relay). That connector clip is a common problem with these bikes. I had a tachometer failure on one of my xs11s when the headlight also failed to work.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
          And if that doesn't work, you might try cleaning-up the connector from the alternator. It is behind the fuse panel plate. One of the wires (looks like 4 whites but one may be pale yellow?) will power the "lighting unit" which also is a solenoid to turn the light on (relay). That connector clip is a common problem with these bikes. I had a tachometer failure on one of my xs11s when the headlight also failed to work.
          Yep, the yellow wire powers the relay on the '78-79 bikes. This wire is unused on the later bikes, ending at the field winding plug.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            This wire is unused on the later bikes, ending at the field winding plug.
            What is that plug?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The plug from the alternator that plugs into the harness behind the fuse panel and is noted for melting....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...