Valve Shim Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shim Search

Here is a little progress report on the XJ I picked up cheap, plan is to make sure it's sound and sell it in the next few weeks. Since it appears riding is still a few weeks away for all of us bored northerners, reading and wrenching is all we got...so here goes.

I replaced the transmission gears with a good set from Andreas. All calipers were thoroughly cleaned, new o-rings and pads installed...front brake bled and operating but still need to finished the linked brakes. Oil filter bolt was pretty mangled, have a replacement coming. Planning on repacking the wheel bearings and greasing the drive shaft.

The bike started and ran good before I started fixing stuff. Once I get it back together I'll check the carb synch. I don't have a spare YICS tool and really don't want to tear apart carbs (never know what you find inside!), so I'm hopeful things are pretty good as they are.

I decided to check valve clearances yesterday and pulled out my Motion Pro tool. Never had any luck with it before, but then Wade did some grinding on it for me so I tried again. Still no good so I did some more grinding but could never get the tip at the bottom to catch the bucket. If anyone has a motor apart currently and would like to compare their working Motion Pro with the one I have and report back, I'd be happy to ship it to you, any takers? So I pulled the cams so I could quickly see what I had for shims, here's the clearance (in inches) and installed shim. Disclaimer --This is where it gets boring in case you want to move on with your life

1I-.003/280, 2I-.003/285, 3I-.003/285, 4I-.002/290 so the plan is to go down one size on #s 1-3 and down two sizes on #4.

1E-.006/290, 2E-.006/290, 3E-.006/285, 4E-.006/280 so the plan is to go down two sizes on all four.

I can only reuse the two 280 shims and I have one 275 on hand (along with 3 others that are too thick to use). I still need (1)270, (1)275, and (3)280s. The local bike shop won't swap and wants $10 each for shims so I was trying to avoid spending $50. Anyone out there have shims this size and a bike already running shims thinner than these so they'd feel OK parting with them? I'll end up with (1)310, (1)295, (3)290, and (4)285 if these would be of use to anybody. According to my service manual, these shims start at 320 and go all the way down to 200.

Thanks all, hope everyone has a good Sunday. Oh, and just so you know, this thread was b*tch to type because our stupid cat just went into heat for the first time and wants to keep doing somersaults on my lap while I type. I see a trip to the vet in the near future. Bet you didn't see that ending coming!
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Hey Billy- Actually, for once we may have better weather than you, as I've seen bikes out all week!

Responding to your write-up, it was a big facepalm reading about the carbs. Do it right, and clean them. They're not swiss clocks with tons of gears snd springs jumping out at you. Follow the threads, and you cannot go wrong.

And, unless MP made a batch of these Valve shim tools that had defects, I find it odd on every bike forum I'm on where users talk about grinding, filing, etc. What are the odds that I sent you mind, and you could not get it to work? No disrespect, but I went through the same scenario with a fellow GS owner, and it turned-out they had it set-up wrong, on-top of almost cracking their head, having the lobe come into contact with the tool turning the crank the wrong way. It's possible you got a defective tool, but from my experience, owners are not using them right.

And, I'll be measuring my valve lash today. I have a small shim library that I'll review after I'm done swapping mine out, and get back with u via this thread on what I can send you.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
      I still need (1)270, (1)275, and (3)280s.
      If Ian, hasn't covered you already, I'm pretty certain I have these. I'll just send them to you. Lord knows I don't need the sizes you have to trade. lol

Thanks all, hope everyone has a good Sunday. Oh, and just so you know, this thread was b*tch to type because our stupid cat just went into heat for the first time and wants to keep doing somersaults on my lap while I type. I see a trip to the vet in the near future. Bet you didn't see that ending coming!
      Now THAT'S some funny stuff right there. We used to have two females that were hillarious when they went into heat at the same time. We got them fixed, but it did have it's entertainment value before that.

Heading out to check the shim supply. Just let me know if you need them.
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        And, unless MP made a batch of these Valve shim tools that had defects, I find it odd on every bike forum I'm on where users talk about grinding, filing, etc...
        The MP tool is a sand-cast 'duplicate' (with the only machining being grinding the 'tip' that engages the bucket) of the factory Yamaha tool which was a fully-machined piece. And plenty of us have gotten 'defective' MP tools.... It seems they either fit well, or don't fit at all without at least some grinding on them. I've got one, and the fit is so poor that when the tool is put in place 'properly', the flange/retaining bolt hole is both angled wrong and off by nearly a 1/16" to being able to install the bolt. Mine is bad enough I'm not even sure that heavy grinding on it will allow it to fit... which is why it got tossed into a recess in my toolbox and forgotten.

Sand casting isn't a very precise casting method; that why nearly everything these days is die-cast. MP apparently has a 'zero rejects' rule for their quality control....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If no one closer can help you then I can provide the shims you need. I have about 80 spare shims right now. Problem is I am in Canada and post does take some time. Any other type of shipping will make the cost advantage of buying them from the dealer better. Let us know how you make out.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hey Billy-

I could not get around to checking my valve lash today. Messing around with the wheel took all day. It's on the to-do list. Let any one of us know if you're in a rush.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

[QUOTE=BillyRok;459844]

The bike started and ran good before I started fixing stuff. Once I get it back together I'll check the carb synch. I don't have a spare YICS tool and really don't want to tear apart carbs (never know what you find inside!), so I'm hopeful things are pretty good as they are.

Aside from the XJ's PITA airbox removal, isn't like your out in the middle of the Dakota's with carb bank upside down on a campground table correcting running issues of that LD 'fly'n'ride' of the MNS......c'mon, you know you want to.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I talked to the local dealership again, different guy, they have 3 of the shims I need and can get the other 2 by end of the week for about $37 total. I'm going to go that route unless somebody here has a 270, a 275 and 3 280s and KNOWS they will never need or want them and is willing to part with them. And I'm selling this bike, not trying to keep my personal runner on the road, so I understand that has an impact on the willingness to give up parts that keep getting scarcer.

And, unless MP made a batch of these Valve shim tools that had defects, I find it odd on every bike forum I'm on where users talk about grinding, filing, etc. What are the odds that I sent you mind, and you could not get it to work?
                I'm pretty sure mine is junk.

Responding to your write-up, it was a big facepalm reading about the carbs. Do it right, and clean them. They're not swiss clocks with tons of gears snd springs jumping out at you. Follow the threads, and you cannot go wrong.
                Guess I figured if it runs OK now why open Pandora's box, the next owner may not be as anal as some of us and be happy with the performance, or he can dive in like many of us with the help of this site and gain some experience...we'll see, I may change my mind.

Aside from the XJ's PITA airbox removal, isn't like your out in the middle of the Dakota's with carb bank upside down on a campground table correcting running issues of that LD 'fly'n'ride' of the MNS......c'mon, you know you want to.
                Wow, the peer pressure is getting intense!
                Not...sure...I...can...resist...much...longer I went back last night and looked over that ride report again, ID to NY, what an adventure and what fun.
                I remember I was fairly annoyed with the bike when I pulled the carbs on the picnic table. And after putting it all back together I remember thinking "if this doesn't run I'll have to apply for a job here at the KOA and become a resident of South Dakota! Good Times for sure
                Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

I think I have the shims you are looking for. I just got to work, so I'll have to check tonight your time. I'll send a PM if I have them.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Kat has generously mailed them out to me today, thanks all for offers to help.
                    Billy

Comment

Working...
                    X