Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 questions

hey,

i'm about to pick up an XS11. it's a pretty large step up from my suzuki GS450. left my heart about a quarter-mile down the road during the test-ride. i'm pretty much sold on the thing. anyone have any compliments/complaints/suggestions on the model before i throw down on it? for example, GS's have notoriously bad electrical systems and everyone's riding aftermarket electrex regulator/rectifiers. crap like that.

xoxo,
    jon
    "there's more to life than not dying"

read the article below from the FAQ regarding what to look for in a neglected XS. Since you were able to test ride it, many of the concerns in the article won't apply.

http://www.xs11.com/faq/neglectedxs.shtml

For a bike that runs, the transmission would be my biggest worry...most everything else can be fixed without much work. Make sure it shifts smoothly from 1st to 2nd to 3rd up and down. A tranny in bad shape will bounce out of 2nd under accelation and leave you in neutral. Or it won't want to shift in to second at all.
    Dan
    1980 XS11 Special

Comment

Jon, The previous advice is good, check the list.
      About the gearbox though, even in good shape, the gearbox will be relatively noisy, especially dropping into 1st while not moving.
      As long as you are not popping out of gears.....

The fuse panel is a known weakness, but is fairly easy to
      change-out to a modern blade type panel.

Good luck, have fun!
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

xs11

thanks for responding. i've not noticed any problems shifting btw 1st, 2nd, & 3rd in either direction... i've checked out just about everything else, looks like a go.

thanks guys.
        jon
        "there's more to life than not dying"

Comment

I would get it if it is in good shape. I used to own a GS650GL and there is No comparision at all.
          Buy the XS, ride the XS, become Xsive!
          Bill Woods
          1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
          1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
          2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Working...
          X