Newbe has brakes question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbe has brakes question.

Hi Guys. I bought my 1979 XS Special from my Uncle last Fall. He only put 14,000 miles on it. He rode the heck out of it in his younger years...but his riding fell of as he got older. It runs great!

I liked the bike when I bought it, but to be honest I didn't really know what I had. Once I found this website, I have been lurking around reading everything for a couple of months. What a great site. I have to say...with all the info about the XS 11's you guys have on this site...and some of the old articles on this site, I am very excited about the bike I have. I have put over 500 miles on it this Spring already.

Okay, here's my question. I had new brake pads put on when I bought the bike last year. And I have put 700 miles on the brakes so far. My brakes tend to squeek when I use them...front and back. It doesn't happen all the tiime and tends to happen when the brakes are first applied, and as I put a little more pressure on them the squeeking stops. Sometimes if I touch the brakes a lightly let off and then use the brakes they don't squeek.

I never really liked messing with cars or motorcycles much, so I don't have a lot of maintenance experience...but after reading the info you guys post and after reading thru the manual I have for the bike...I am exicted to start working on the bike. So please don't hold back on suggestions...assume I know very litte.

I checked the brake fluid yesterday and it's topped off...and I don't have any trouble stopping. Could the squeeking be just because the pads are new? Is this something that happens often?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you guys might have.
    You'll hear more from me in the future.

Ben Frasier

First off, most people on this board have squeeky brakes. A previous thread determined that this is normal and if they don't squeek you have a problem.

brakes generally squeek and make noise as a result of vibration. vibration is generally caused by dirt, road grime, and old brake dust. Take the pads off, clean up the calipers and the discs as well as you can. Use some brake cleaner, but be carefull not to get it on anything but the brake peices (especially paint and tires). DO NOT use an abrasive brush as scratching the parts could cause a fluid leak and other issues. When reassembling, put some lube on the back surface of the pads. You can get specific brake lube at an auto parts store, or any high temp silicon based lube will work.

Also, make sure the brake disks and caliper mounts are torqued to spec. If one of the bolts is loose it can cause squeeking
    Dan
    1980 XS11 Special

Comment

Thanks Dan...I did a search earlier and didn't see that thread. But I just did another search and found the thread you referenced.

Sorry about the duplicate topic fellas.

Comment

Working...
      X