Caliper Upgrade: Rebuild Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper Upgrade: Rebuild Necessary?

Upgrading my front calipers and rotors to an R6 setup. Buying the calipers used. Should I automatically assume the calipers need a rebuild? $40/kit.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

At a bare minimum I'd disassemble them and clean them out. Whether or not they need new seals (or other parts) can then be determined....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ian, just wondering, I'm assuming this is a complete fab job, as they look completely different as to mounting points etc??
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Hey Courtney- U attempted to send me a PM, but my inbox was full. I would not call it a complete "fab-job", as I'm just having made an adaptor plate from the XS fork mounts, to the R6 caliper mount holes, and then a machined spacer. Rotors will be standard 6-bolt pattern, 320mm diameter.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hi Ian,

You will need to move the discs out so the calipers clear the spokes of the wheel.

Not easy to get enough clearance without messing with the speedo drive.

AlanB
          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hey Alan- Cool to see a Scotsman on here. Yes, it's all worked-out. Final tweaks will be done with washers.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

I definitely agree with the "take it apart and clean it first" crowd. I recently rebuild the front and rear calipers on my 79F. I had already purchased the rebuild kits, (I've owned the bike since '89 and I know they have never been touched other than pad changes) and was ready to go.

When I first got the calipers off and looked at things, I just KNEW I REALLY needed that rebuild kit! But when I got all the seals out and actually CLEAN (heated ultrasonic with Pinesol and water), I found the seals to be in nearly perfect condition! All the crap that was stuck to them made them APPEAR stiff and brittle.

Given how much newer your brake parts are, I bet a good cleaning will do the trick.
              -- Clint
              1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Hopefully luck is on my side. However, I bought the calipers for $35, so if a rebuild is necessary, everything will equal out. Those R6 calipers come with 8-10 seals. Kinda crazy.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                X