starter or solenoid ...or control switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter or solenoid ...or control switch

when i hit the start button the engine cranks no problem....if it doesnt fire (its cold in south dak and this bike is a little cold blooded) and it try the start button again i get nothing...i can hear the solenoid click slightly,but nothing happens at starter

I have to shut off key and come back a while later and try again

with the same results....what you guys think?
    81 SH gifted to SON

I think it could be your battery.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I'd attribute it to the cold.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

battery is new and fully charged..it cranks great, just when i let off the button something won't allow proper contact to the starter

it did the same thing in the summertime as well,,If for some reason i would stall the bike it mat take several minutes before the button would work again..but i could still hear the solenoid click
        81 SH gifted to SON

Comment

Here are my thoughts....

Here's what I think....

Take the right hand control apart and clean the contact on the button...

The solenoid could have bad inner contacts and still click...the contacts may be corroded and not pass enough current...smack it while holding the starter button...

Just my thoughts,

Tenorman
          Bikes that I have owned and enjoyed...
          1964 Allstate 250
          1970 Yamaha DT1
          1959 Mobylette
          1970 Yamaha JT1
          1995 Suzuki 80
          1978 Yamaha XS650
          1980 Yamaha XS1100LG
          2005 BMW R1150R

Comment

Ill try that..can you post a link for a part number for a direct replacement for the solenoil? there is a bunch on flea bay but I would prefer a direct replacement..no mods needed
            81 SH gifted to SON

Comment

Sig. shows an 81........if that be the case, and if any bar changes have been made that may be painted or powder coated, the right side controls ground through bars, not seperately like earlier models.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

1J7-81940-10-00 STARTER SWITCH ASY

OEM is as direct as you're going to get. I still think it's your battery or battery connection/ground.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

thanks for the link...the battery is new end of the season last fall..been stored inside..the connections are clean ..one of my first projects when i got it home..

I am definitely going to check the connections on the solenoid though..and clean the starter button...The bars are changed but they are chrome... Is there a link on here on howto clean out the inside of the plug connectors..I thought there was some sort of spray that can remove some of the corrosion
                  Last edited by wjw11teen; 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM. Reason: info
                  81 SH gifted to SON

Comment

You can also check the voltage (key on) at the red/wht wire where it is soldered to the solenoid. Compare it to the voltage at the fuse panel, if it is more than .25V difference, there is a bad/dirty connection at the kill switch or connectors under the fuel tank. I had one recently with 2V less at the solenoid and the bike would crank sometimes and not other times. GL
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by wjw11teen View Post
                      thanks for the link...the battery is new end of the season last fall..been stored inside..the connections are clean ..one of my first projects when i got it home..

I am definitely going to check the connections on the solenoid though..and clean the starter button...The bars are changed but they are chrome... Is there a link on here on howto clean out the inside of the plug connectors..I thought there was some sort of spray that can remove some of the corrosion
                      De-oxit, commonly found at NAPA, Autozone, etc.............suggest at this point going thru ALL connections, specially all five of those behind fuse panel, the three grounds at the reg. hold down. Poor charging system connections result in higher voltage input back to batt. than may be needed, or possibly in this case, lacking in needed charging rate tottally. Also, kill switch contacts complete system, and is also a common 'voltage drop to coils' scenario. Just some areas of known, common electrical issues and agree with Jetmechmarty. Worst case scenario, part replacement....but unlikely at this point.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

O.k. thanks fellas ...this might suck for me Im pretty good mechanically...but electrical stuff is a major bugaboo for me....I was hoping to avoid it but OH WELL...Ill buy a bottle of propane for the heater,,and a couple boxes of beer and Ill get to work.....CHEERS!!!!
                        81 SH gifted to SON

Comment

Had a similar problem on the XJ when replacing the tires at a dealer. Mechanic came over and tapped the starter cover and the bike started. Found out the brushes were worn and the commutator was dirty. Cleaned the starter/commutator, replaced the brushes and walla no more problems.
                          Another possibility.
                          Dell82
                          Houston, TX
                          82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                          SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                          SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                          SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DELL82 View Post
                            Had a similar problem on the XJ when replacing the tires at a dealer. Mechanic came over and tapped the starter cover and the bike started. Found out the brushes were worn and the commutator was dirty. Cleaned the starter/commutator, replaced the brushes and walla no more problems.
                            Another possibility.
                            ......doubtful, since 78-81XS's had brushless type alt..

Comment

Sorry I am only familiar with XJ 1100. I rebuilt my starter including the coils in the starter.
                              Dell82
                              Houston, TX
                              82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                              SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                              SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                              SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X