78 E Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 E Timing

I have 78E that has timing issues. The bike runs pretty good, but I thought I would check things out when I adjusted the cam chain, with the ign cover off. First, I checked out the pointer by removing the No. 1 plug and rotating the crank until the piston was at its highest point. The point seemed to be right on the money. The timing assembly was rotated counter-clockwise almost to the maximum range in the screw slots. I checked out the F mark at idle and it was good. I checked out the timing with the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged at the carb at 5200 rpms and it was good. So, why it the assembly so far counter-clockwise to be in adjustment? Does this indicate some sort of problem? The bike has over 63K miles.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Hey there Skids,

I just looked at my Clymers, and the diagrams/photos show the plate to almost be in that position as well!! And rotating the assembly CCW is advancing it, perhaps Yamaha didn't want us to be able to rotate it TOO MUCH in the advanced direction, emissions and crap!?!? Glad it's in time!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X