New Member-1st Yamaha!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member-1st Yamaha!

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I've been a Motorcycle rider for the past 23 years. I've owned numerous bikes from ATV's to Trail bikes to GWings to Cruisers, and now back to a wonderful Japanese 4cylinder that started me off (75' Honda 550). I pick up my 82' Yamaha XJ1100 tomorrow morning. The bike is in really nice shape. I new the 2nd owner and 3rd owners and they have already went over most of the bike. It only has 14,500 original miles on it. It is in really nice shape except for a lot of the aluminum has oxidized. The previous owners had some trouble with the brake system, locking up and dragging, but seem to have worked though it, they are fine now. Only mechanical issue I saw when I test road it was a very slight hesitation when taking off from a stop in 1st gear. Very nice overall. Paid $1000, hopefully not too much. One question for everyone, maybe I didn't do my homework well as I just now found out on this forum that they only made the model for 1 year. I would guess that parts are going to be an issue either now or down the road. Any major issues to look out for that you may not be able to find parts to replace? I would hate to break down and not be able get it on the road again.
    Stick & String

Hopefully, here is a photo link of the bike

http://groups.msn.com/StickStringsAr...torcycles.msnw
    Stick & String

Comment

Hey there Dale,

That's a great find at a great price!! With only 14K on the clock, you should have many years of use out of it before you have to worry about major parts! Rubber parts are a problem due to aging, both the intake manifolds, as well as the tires. IF it's been garage kepts, the intakes may still be in great shape. They can still be gotten from aftermarket source. You'll want to check the date stamps on the tires, if they are over 3 or so years old, then the tires may be hardening, and you will probably want to look into some new tread, both for safety, reliability, and traction and handling!

The ignition box is another big item, several folks are looking into other forms/types from other sources to replace them, however, with the XJ, it's a bit more complicated, it has the vacuum advance unit as an electronic box instead of mechanically on the timing shaft/pickup assembly, so again, only one from an XJ will work on it! Aside from going over all the connectors to inspect for corrosion, and cleaning, and possibly replacing the fuse block, it should be a very reliable machine for you!

Your hesitation could very well be gummed up carbs, a good cleaning, flushing of the tank, inspection of the petcocks, air filter, will probably cure that!! Congrats, and WELCOME!!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

bags

great taste in bags. i have the same set of willie and max's on my xj. the are a great fit with a subtle style and good versatility.

Comment

Good find Dale!

Are those the regular XJ handlebars? They look like my Venture ones, can't seem to get them in the right postion.
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Good looking ride, Dale.

Nice riding companion, too! Can't wait to see the 2005 model!

Good luck with her, (the XJ).

Randy

Comment

TopCatGr58, thanks for the info. on what to look out for down the road. I'll check the items you mentioned this week.

Randy, yes they are the original tubular (square) bars.

Anyone find a way to clean up all the oxidation on the aluminum parts? Can you polish them on the bike (case/heads)?
              Stick & String

Comment

Hey there Dale,

Check the Main page, then scroll down to Techtips, FINISH, and check out the thread, has lots of info on polishing and corrosion removal, etc.!

Polishing thread

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

polish alum

i use heavy duty rubbing compound on steel wool if its real bad.Just rub and polish till it gets black,then buff with a clean rag.works pretty good.
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Got the same problem with oxidization. Found that if you use a wet sand sandpaper 300 or higher with it really wet that it cleans and shines. Then apply chrome polish and wax and it should be protected as well as shiny.
                    Using steel wool unless it is the stainless kind will imbed particles in the aluminum and lead to corrosion.
                    I plan to finish the big job this summer in between trips. Should post the results when done.

deo
                    82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
                    Riding with the Son

Comment

Working...
                    X