Petcock Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock Seal

I have the petcocks off of a 1980G rebuilding both. The seal on the petcock lever has a lip on it. Does this lip face out or in?

I am thinking that they should face in, but both old ones were facing out. Did not see any designation in the Yamaha service manual.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

The answer may be in this link. I'll leave the search to you.

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?...-w-pics.25058/
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Seal Direction

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      The answer may be in this link. I'll leave the search to you.

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?...-w-pics.25058/
      This article has very detailed info on the petcocks. But there is no mention of the direction of the seal?
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Don't know what your talking about Mike. I use them until they start leaking and then turn them over.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Seal Direction

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Don't know what your talking about Mike. I use them until they start leaking and then turn them over.
          Here are pix of both sides of the seal. This seal is the one for the selector lever. Hence, my original question of "which way". It seems logical that the lip side of the seal would go toward the fuel (inward), but the ones I tool apart were just the opposite? Just trying to be sure since I cannot find any documentation. The tech tip that Marty posted refers to this seal as an o-ring - maybe a different type of petcock?

Last edited by MPittma100; 02-13-2015, 08:08 PM.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Not sure what that seal is. Must be for a Standard.

The lip should go towards whatever is being sealed from going in or out.

If it's sealing fuel in the lip goes towards the fuel. If it's sealing vacuum the lip will go towards the atmosphere.

Just my basic mechanical logic speaking. As I said I'm not sure what that seal is for.

If it's in a standard petcock, I have some out in the garage I can disassemble and see how they are in there.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

A seal like that goes open side to the fluid. I have never found a seal like that in a Yamaha petcock.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Seal

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Not sure what that seal is. Must be for a Standard.

The lip should go towards whatever is being sealed from going in or out.

If it's sealing fuel in the lip goes towards the fuel. If it's sealing vacuum the lip will go towards the atmosphere.

Just my basic mechanical logic speaking. As I said I'm not sure what that seal is for.

If it's in a standard petcock, I have some out in the garage I can disassemble and see how they are in there.
                This seal is sealing fuel IN. So I am going to turn the lip inward. It is a Standard Petcock out of a 1980G. The seal goes on the selector lever outside diameter where it goes into the petcock body. Then the spring washer, cover plate (showing "on", "reserve", and "prime"), and two screws. I am going to assume that the old ones were in bassackwards.
                Last edited by MPittma100; 02-13-2015, 08:20 PM.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Special has a flat washer looking thing with holes in it.

If you can wait till morning I'll pull one I have apart to be sure.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

My XS650 has a vacuum petcock. Other than the diaphragm, it has the same basic parts as my XS11 Special petcock. They're only sized differently.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Working...
                    X