2nd gear issue came back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear issue came back

about 6k miles ago I did the dremel fix on my 2nd gear and what i think are the dogs on 5th gear, as well as moved the washer over.

Now second gear is nearly completely unusable again.

I want to just go ahead and buy new gears so that this wont happen again. Do i need to buy both 2nd and 5th gear to fix this problem? Anyone know a good cheap site to buy both? Some sites have them for almost $200 if they have them at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you can get them, buy them BOTH NOW! They are getting VERY SCARCE now. That and a shift fork should take care of the problem.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Wouldstalk:

Yes, dogs are on 5th gear, engage into slots in 2nd gear.

You can get 2nd gear from the dealer, but not 5th gear.

Once in a long while, a 5th gear shows up on e-Bay. I was lucky enough to find one when I needed it this winter.

Andreas had two decent transmissions available over the holidays. Don't know the current status.

I hope you show us pictures when you get it apart so we can learn why yours didn't last very long.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

What

was the cause of the second failure. This maybe very informative to our members!
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

I last saw new gears on www.cmsnl.com
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

If you have to grind the thin, hardened layer off the dogs, it only buys you time enough to find replacement 2nd gear. The softer dogs will wear exponentially faster.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Gears

When I did my gears (with T.C) I found a whole set of tranny gears on eBay and got the whole thing for $25. Just had to look for a while to find it.
              xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

So has anyone tried welding up the rounded over dogs and then grinding them back to the original position? One of the problems with welding is it is usually much harder than the base metal, so that should actually help in this situation.
                -- Clint
                1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                  So has anyone tried welding up the rounded over dogs and then grinding them back to the original position? One of the problems with welding is it is usually much harder than the base metal, so that should actually help in this situation.
                  .....you'd think, but unfortunately the heat draws added carbon out of base metal, in this case the part you prefer to stay in place. Broken off engagement dogs would not be a good day.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I live in Orlando FL and plan on taking mine to a local shop who gets all gears reverse cut for $250. I plan on before and after pics. The owner of the shop is awesome and says the work makes them better then new. Maybe I can get a direct connection to the guy that he uses.
                    1979 F worst one i could find
                    to convert into a bobber/ streetfighter!

We can't all get along!

Comment

Some gears are available...but you'll have to really search!

When I did my bike last year, I searched for new gears from Partzilla.

The 1st Gear was still available, but they showed that the 4th Gear was, but later emailed me that it wasn't. I bought the 1st gear (about $100.00 with shipping).

I found another 2 NOS gears on eBay...4th and 2nd...bought them...about $100.00 each. I then bought a good used transmission on eBay...another $100.00.

You'll look long and hard to find the 5th gear although they do come up on eBay once in a while...maybe $100.00 if you're lucky.

I ended up using the 5th gear from the used transmission along with the 2nd gear washer. (I had the new second gear cut so I could use 2 washers...one on either side.)

If I had to do it all over again, I would have contacted these people

http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories...nsmissions.htm

The FJ owners site has a ton of information on these transmissions, because they also had problems with the 2nd gear on the early FJ1100 and FJ1200.

I'm looking for a good used FJ1200 for a new project and it appears that the 2nd gear problems were less apparent on the 1989 and later models of the FJ1200.

By the way...I never found a NOS gear that was undercut...I don't think that they ever existed. All that I found was NOS...NEW OLD STOCK...

Hope this helps....

Tenorman
                      Bikes that I have owned and enjoyed...
                      1964 Allstate 250
                      1970 Yamaha DT1
                      1959 Mobylette
                      1970 Yamaha JT1
                      1995 Suzuki 80
                      1978 Yamaha XS650
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100LG
                      2005 BMW R1150R

Comment

Here's a photo of the bike....

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago...a labor of love and it always cries out for something else. But the transmission works great and it screams...

After looking at this photo, I noticed how bad the center stand looks, so that will need to be removed, sandblasted and painted...if Spring ever comes to Western Pennsylvania...but that will be after I clean-out the garage...

[/URL]
                        Bikes that I have owned and enjoyed...
                        1964 Allstate 250
                        1970 Yamaha DT1
                        1959 Mobylette
                        1970 Yamaha JT1
                        1995 Suzuki 80
                        1978 Yamaha XS650
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100LG
                        2005 BMW R1150R

Comment

Originally posted by Tenorman View Post
                          If I had to do it all over again, I would have contacted these people

http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories...nsmissions.htm

Tenorman
                          This sounds like a great solution over Dremel-by-hand. I can't wait for someone to try it and provide a report with pictures.
                          -Mike
                          _________
                          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                            This sounds like a great solution over Dremel-by-hand. I can't wait for someone to try it and provide a report with pictures.
                            Considering the make-up and tolerances internally with these trannys , unless your doing a track bike, IMO, save the money for other needed 'fixes.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

There is a 5th on ebay now.
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-NOS-G...3a2d79&vxp=mtr
                              Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Working...
                              X