best product to shine chrome fenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best product to shine chrome fenders?

My fenders are in good condition but have some pitting. Whats the best way to get them looking like new?
    Rob - 79 SF

I found there is a big difference in aluminum polishing products, but not so much difference in the chrome polishes I have purchased.

I use Turtle and Simoniz chrome polishes.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Once the finish has deteriorated, the only thing that will get them back to new is having them replated. In my experience chrome polish will get them looking their best.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Do you have Solvol Autosol over there? It's brilliant stuff
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

How far gone is the chrome? If it is mostly rust, mix up some white vinegar and salt. Crumple some aluminum foil into a ball and use it as an applicator/ scouring pad. When your happy with your chrome, dip the part into a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize any left acid. If you don't neutralize it, the chrome will dull after a few days. It won't fix pitting but it will make it much, much less noticeable. Be careful with this stuff though, as it is an acid. Don't let aluminum parts sit in the mix or they will start to disintegrate after a few hours.

I did this for a bunch of parts off of eastcoasters bike which was caught in hurricane sandy. The front fender looks new again, and I can tell you it was fairly rusty and crusty.

The salt vinegar mix also works to deoxidize steel when left in the mix for a few days and cleans brass and copper almost instantly to a shine.
          81 xs1100 SH
          81 xs1100 SH (parts)
          80 suzuki gs550et
          07 suzuki S40

Comment

I did some carb caps in the mean time.

Before:

And after:

This one came out looking like New.
            81 xs1100 SH
            81 xs1100 SH (parts)
            80 suzuki gs550et
            07 suzuki S40

Comment

They're not rusty,..just the tiny pits. I thought maybe there was something to remove those. Thanks all!
              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I've ran pitted chrome parts through my buffer using a sewn cotton wheel and red rouge compound and got great results. This 'smooths' the pits and usually gets the rust out of them at the same time. You don't want to get heavy-handed when doing this, just do it until the shine is back. But remember, a pit exposes bare steel and rust will come back if you don't keep the part clean and waxed.

Steel wool and/or aluminum foil 'rubbing' will scratch the chrome, as will some of the harsher chrome polishes.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

+1 on the Autosol. Excellent product for aluminium and chrome although they have a specific aluminium polish as well. I swear by it. You can even use it as a cutting compound for oxidized paint. It will do the job.

Ha Ha, Yes, we do get that over here in North Murca, James. It's made in Germany and you know how tightly wound those folks are. Ask me how I know

PS. I spelled aluminium correctly just for you, James. It's so much more fun to say.
                  Living to EXcess.
                  1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                  Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                  1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Working...
                  X