Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with spark plug wires. still confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with spark plug wires. still confused.

Just picked up a 79 special. The spark plug wires are def not original. They look like automotive wires so I want to replace. Did some research and still confused.

Can someone please provide me a link to what I need to buy? Not looking for fancy and does not need to be NOS. Just need to be right. Thanks all!
    Rob - 79 SF

If it is still stock coils it is more involved to chang the wires, but do able.

All you need to look for is solid core spark plug wires. Not carbon core, not graphite core. Solid core is what you want to look for.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

the solid core is part of what's confusing me. I read in another post that solid core is the wrong terminology. Are they already cut to length? Does the mm matter? this is why I'm hoping somebody could point me in the direction of link where I can buy the proper set and caps
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I figured out they are not automotive wires. they're wires for deep-well spark plugs so they stick out pretty far and look bad. want to replace them
        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
          the solid core is part of what's confusing me. I read in another post that solid core is the wrong terminology. Are they already cut to length? Does the mm matter? this is why I'm hoping somebody could point me in the direction of link where I can buy the proper set and caps
          Copper core, wire core, solid core.....doesn't matter what name it goes by, you need the plug wires that have wire as the core. You cut the wire yourself to the length you need for your application, it is usually sold by the foot. The mm does not matter for aftermarket coils, for stock coils that you are going to cut open to replace the wires then you should stick to 7mm (might be able to get 8mm in there).

As to the caps, the inside cylinder caps are NGK XB05F cap and the outside caps are NGK LB05F. You need 2 of each cap.

There is no kit to buy, you need to shop around and fine the parts at the price you like and buy them. The caps you can buy riģht from NGK or Amazon or your local parts store. The spark plug wire is a little harder to find locally. I have bought it from lawn mower repair shop.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It was quite a time ago, but I believe the wires I bought were Dyna brand and were described as "racing" wires because there are low resistance and cause radio interference.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

mrhammer, a trip to your local NAPA, buy 5ft. of either multi-wire core or solid copper core 7mm high-temp plug wire, cut to proper lengths and install.

If the stock coils are still on bike, not as easy as that as the stock plug wires are permanently molded into coils.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                Copper core, wire core, solid core.....doesn't matter what name it goes by, you need the plug wires that have wire as the core. You cut the wire yourself to the length you need for your application, it is usually sold by the foot. The mm does not matter for aftermarket coils, for stock coils that you are going to cut open to replace the wires then you should stick to 7mm (might be able to get 8mm in there).

As to the caps, the inside cylinder caps are NGK XB05F cap and the outside caps are NGK LB05F. You need 2 of each cap.

There is no kit to buy, you need to shop around and fine the parts at the price you like and buy them. The caps you can buy riģht from NGK or Amazon or your local parts store. The spark plug wire is a little harder to find locally. I have bought it from lawn mower repair shop.
                why do you stress copper, Nate? I use carbon cored on all my bikes without any problems.....am I missing something?
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Nanotube Cables Hit a Milestone: As Good as Copper

As elements go, only silver conducts better than copper.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    why do you stress copper, Nate? I use carbon cored on all my bikes without any problems.....am I missing something?
                    I think we talked about this before James and we agreed to disagree.

Carbon/graphite core wires are intended to be used in situations where they are well supported and secured otherwise the core cracks due to vibrations. Solid core does not Crack and can hold up to just hanging and flopping around like they do on these bikes.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Anyone interested . . .

. . . in the lowdown on ignition wires, the following site has alot of info:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

I'm presently using a set of KV85's on my '95 F150 and plan on contacting them in the near future regarding proper wires to use on our bikes with the Dyna coils.
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Y'all have said everything except what a PITA it is to change wires on stock coils with integral wires. Much easier to just swap coils.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                          Just picked up a 79 special. The spark plug wires are def not original. They look like automotive wires so I want to replace. Did some research and still confused.

Can someone please provide me a link to what I need to buy? Not looking for fancy and does not need to be NOS. Just need to be right. Thanks all!
                          Hi Mr Hammer,
                          I have used these guys for NGK stuff.
                          http://www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByC...egory=01044002

there is a connector in there somewhere to splice the wire if you want to avoid opening the coils.
                          http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs1100/?filters[category]=electrical&filters[fitting]=universal&filters[page]=2

offers a set of wires but does not say diameter.

Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Y'all have said everything except what a PITA it is to change wires on stock coils with integral wires. Much easier to just swap coils.
                            ........Post#7

And yeppers.....way easier, plus the stock coils I'm bettin' will likely fail testing anyways........they're more likely just..... 'kinda workin' at this point.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Phil,
                              Thanks. Just looked up a how to video. Seems i can just replace the plug cap. Seems pretty easy too. Looks like you just cut the cap off and screw the new ones on.

Thoughts?
                              Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X