Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering 1980 XS11

RE: Article how to lower XS 11 by James Ho June 2002

(1)Please specify what type and make of rear shocks to fit if using 11" (279mm) long units.

(2)Where would one obtain a set of progressive(variable) rate of fork springs to suite the XS.

(3)Apart from maching up a new set of top fork leg plugs, are there any available without the hexagon head on type.
    This would allow a lift of 1.5"(38mm) on the fork legs to equal the 11"(279mm) rear shock length.

(4) Also intend to fit a scalloped seat with high density foam to further lower the seat to ground level.

(5)Comments please whether all the above is feasible at an economical price.

NB. Has anybody actually fitted a shaft/belt to a FJ1200- comments please

I lowered the rear of mine, I actually took the stock rear shocks apart, cut 1 1/2 coils from them and reassembled, it was a pain to get them apart, but easier to reassemble them, My wife and I ride the bike together regularly, I havent had any problems with it bottoming out ar anything...Hey, It was cheap to do.....

Comment

Check out the Dennis Kirk catalog for Progressive brand rear shocks and springs for the front end. For the rear, look at the Series 12 in a 11.5" eye-to-eye length, then choose black or chrome springs in a variety of spring rates to suit your needs. For the front end, they list only one model of spring. As you get on with lowering, you will discover you run out of clearance underneath. You will have to remove the centrestand and do a major shortening of the sidestand. As you lift the front forks, you may also find they run into the handlebars. A set of dogbone risers will give you room to lift them a bit more.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

So is there a way to lower the front without disassembling the forks? I have heard of other bikes that the forks can be slid up into the triple trees, but can that be done with the XS?

Comment

Yes, you can loosen the pinch bolts on the triple tree and let the upper tubes slide up a bit, at least until you run into the handlebars. I believe that's what Denny Zander did with his ride - put on some longer tubes, let them slide up, than installed some clip-ons. Very nice look......
          Ken Talbot

Comment

I guess I know what Ill be doing this weekend!!

Comment

I just checked on my bike since its here @ work, The forks cannot be slid up, the diameter of the fork tubes is smaller at the top where it clamps (right near the air valves), so the pinch bolts cannot be merely loosened allowing the forks to be slid up, unless aftermarket forks are used or the triple trees are machined. Right everyone?

Comment

Nope, forks should be same diameter the entire length. You will only be able to move the forks about a 1/2" (maybe not even that much) before they will hit your handlebars. Like Ken said you will need risers to lower any more than that.
                Kevin
                '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
                [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

I see what your saying now, I was looking at the sheetmetal tube shaped covers that the headlamp attaches to, which is obviously larger than the fork tube itself, I could even shorten the tin shields and reinstall them after raising the forks through the triple trees, which would allow me to retain my headlamp with the stock bracketry. Any ideas on how to move the handlebars without being too costly? Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

You will need to loosen both the lower and upper tree to move the forks. No cutting of the fork ears will be needed. The easiest way to move the handlebars would be with risers.

They have some here. $12.95, listed under chopper parts.

Cycle Re-cycle

Kevin
                    '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
                    [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

I lowered it! I bought a set of drag-bars and the risers from cycle recycle, installed them and lowered the front forks one inch, removed rear springs and cut another coil out of shocks. It looks great, rides well, I will try and post a picture later today.

Comment

Working...
                      X