Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

Merry Christmas all-have not been on in a long time-this summer back in June I tore 2 tendons in my rotator cuff and was looking at surgery.Almost 3 months later and a lot of rehab, I was able to avoid surgery but it cut my riding time almost down to nothing.The SG went into my storage unit and sat. I start it occasionally and it runs fine.But have a slight issue-the tires need air in them because it wont move freely.I have an Nitrogen tank-maybe its a ten pound tank but i need an air hose to fill the tires as I dont know what i did with the hose that was on it.Looking on E-Bay and Amazon- dont feel like going to Advanced Auto and have the hose split on me 3 months later.The weather in NJ is real mild this time of year,got to happen sooner than later. Maybe take a ride to Sears and get a hose.Cheers!
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Well turns out when i put air in the tires I thought things were fine.I rode the bike to my Moms house and almost got there when I noticed the bike was not really rolling smoothly.I managed to pull into the driveway and the rear brake totally locked up.Upon further examination,I found the brake pads completely frozen in the caliper.The caliper got so hot the plastic window piece used to check the brake pads melted.Now I need a new caliper.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Why can't you free off the caliper, and are you sure its the caliper at fault. If you can unbolt the caliper and remove it, the pads are in the caliper carrier not the actual caliper, maybe free them up.

If not the pads could it be the spooge hole in the M/C that's blocked making the caliper stick on.
      Try opening up the caliper bleed nipple to let out a bit of fluid, if the caliper frees off its the spooge hole in the master cylinder.

JAT

Tom
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I had to remove the screw that holds the pads,and once that was removed I was able to take off the caliper.The piston looks good,no rust,The pads were rusty(I dont use the rear brakes) so I definitely need new pads.The screw that holds the pads looked real bad.The stooge hole looks clear.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Hey there,

The pads surfaces themselves are probably okay, just the metal backings that are metal and rusty. A good wire brush on a drill would clean them up pretty good, and then appication of some brake lube on the metal edges where they contact and slide in the caliper housing would be adviseable.

You can't see the spooge hole in the caliper....it's in the master cylinder, you'd need to take off the filler cap to view/inspect it. The rusty pads could have just binded up in the caliper, and the spooge hole may be open and working.

You really should use BOTH brakes....front and back at least in straight line braking. Using only the fronts can put you at more risk for locking up the front in an emergency event while in a turn!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Oldyam. Friend me. Love gto ride with a fellow XS11'er. I'm in Parsippany and ride all over northern NJ and a bit into NYS. Have any pics of your ride?
            Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I do -let me see if i can load them.I'm in Hackettstown- North NJ am very familiar with Parsippany as my 1st wife lived there by the lake
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
              X