CDI compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDI compatibility

Does anyone know whether XJ650 CDI's will work on an XJ1100?

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Actually, these are TCI (Transistorized Controlled Ignition) and not CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) boxes. I have not heard of anyone trying the 650 version on the 1100. Keep in mind the ignition curve is programmed into the TCI box; that is why there is no mechanical advance on the XJ or '81 XS models. ( Differnt curves, the '81 and XJ boxes are not interchangeable.) I doubt if the 650 box would work, but don't have experience one way or the other.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The 650 is a two cylinder. it definitely will not work.

Randy

Comment

But remember, ours may be four cyls, but there are only two coils. Same as the 650. It just might work...Someone ought to try it.

Comment

650 four

Actually, the 650 I'm looking at is a four cylinder. I found a post by Chopper stating that he took the TCI off of a XJ650 and put it on his XS 1.1. I don't know if it'll work on an XJ1100, but there's one way to find out...

Also. Is there any easy way to figure out what failed on the TCI circuitboard? I've got mine apart and don't see any obvious signs of overheating. I've got a multimeter, I just need to know specifically what I'm looking for I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Jon Groelz

'82 XJ1100J-John
          '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

I called and spoke with an application engineer at Dyna today. He wasn't sure why they hadn't gotten into the early electronic ignition Yamahas, but I know what my cousin (who designs satellites for Boeing) would say- Mean Time to Failure. Most of their stuff is for points replacement or sportbike performance-not replacing an electronic ignition system that is currently operational on old bikes. Probably not a big market for an XS replacement ignition 10 years ago. Nowadays, it might be a different story! Anyway, all Dyna stuff uses Hall-effect switches and a rotating magnet. The switches output a clean square-wave signal for the ignition module. The XS inductive pickups won't work. To adapt a Dyna system for an XS, I suppose there would be two approaches to take. You could possibly design an interface between the stock pickups and the Dyna box (an A/D converter that "goes high" for 38 degrees per revolution) or investigate mounting a magnet to trigger Dyna's pickups. Since the rotating trigger on the XS crank is ferrous, it would probably be necessary to make a new one out of a nonmagnetic material such as aluminum or whatever and then incorporate the magnet into the new piece. I suppose the best solution would be to start e-mailing Dyna on a regular basis to harass them into making a unit just for us, and others who need an alternative to unavailable OEM pieces. (Yes, I know you can get used ones on e-bay) Realistically, I don't know how many of us would be willing to spend $400-$500 for a new pickup/module/coil setup. I've been spending some time investigating transistors on line, and Motorola makes some nice NPN Darlington power transistors that are probably far more suited to the task than the Hitachi originals. If you are interested, e-mail me and I'll reply with a PDF spec sheet. If anyone has experience with MegaSquirt-n-Spark as an alternative, I'd love to hear about it.
            2010 Kawasaki Z1000
            1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

PDF spec sheet

Wanted to know if you could email that speck sheet on I asume transistors.Read your letter about the pickups not working and the analog and digital problem.
              Did want to know your thoughts and presumed problems with building my own ignition module for my 81 XS1100 H.
              Im a licensed auto mechanic by trade and am about 90% finished.The bike runs fine with my "magic box",and all thats left is to adjust the timing.Revs very nice and tried short power bursts in the driveway.Seems to have the balls.
              Have been through the ignition module problems and switching boxes...and very much expect my magic box to put an end to all that.Should know this weekend how it all turns out...
              Email me the speck sheet.....
              Thanks,

Adrian217@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
              X