No announcement yet.

charging problems - still - NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging problems - still - NEED HELP!

I replaced alternator and regulator and I still can't charge my battery - and the tach doesn't work. I'm at a complete loss. Is there anything else I can try? The rotor inside the alternator didn't get replaced. Is that something that might be the cause?

The bike is so close - it runs good, the turn signals and brake lights are worked out - but I can only ride for a short period due to the charging... Summer is so close and I want to ride.

PLEASE, Anybody help!!!

Tom B.

Re: charging problems - still - NEED HELP!

Bad batteries will not charge or may give out when they heat up. The rotor is nothing that can wear out. It is just a hunk of metal with holes in it that spins on the end of the crank and "breaks" the magnetic field. You probably need to check out the terminal cables and the grounding straps and grounding connections. There is a ground to frame at the regulator/rectifier, one between the battery negetive and the frame, one between the middle drive gears and the frame by the battery. Also, clean all of the connectors between the stator and the rectifier/regulator. There is a connector beneath fuse panel. Hope this helps.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Stator

Had the same trouble with my XJ, the Xj is different than the XS as it has brushes did you replace them? I had to replace my stator which is the inside part that the brushes run on. Cost 300.00 used at a bike salvage yard . About 750 from Yamaha ,ouch . You said you replaced the altenator?? what part did you replace? Hope this helps .....MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

alt

I sent him the whole cover with winding attached to cover the brushes looked new ,So that part attached to motor is worth HOW MUCH ! holly cow hope mine dont go out now.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Still don't get it... Tried measuring resistance and I get the same numbers as I got on my original - so either both windings are bad or both are good. Is there anything else that would cause it not to charge???

I've heard the tach won't work if the alternator is bad. It's not working so that tells me that possibly both alternators I have are bad - what are the odds?

Tom B.

Comment

check all wires

Try checking the group of wires that run from alt case to wire harness. Especialy going through the wire loom s and near anywere they may be rubbing against the motor or frame.As stated earlier check all grounds and clean.(dont just look at them pullem apart and clean them) Clean battery connections.Is this going to be the dreaded tripple clean of grounds and connections?
            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

reading

Did you read the Repair section below the lists of fourms?Battery and electrical ? you probly did just had to ask.
              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Working...
              X