TCI unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCI unit

Does anyone know for sure whether the TCI units will swap across models. I have an XJ1100 and I think I need a TCI or a way to test mine.

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Hepcat,

The short answer is some do, some don't. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much.

The XS's have vacuum and mechanical igniton advance mechanisms, while, I'm told, the XJ's have a TCI box that incorporates electronic advance circuitry.

If that is true, then an XS box may work well enough just to prove your suspicions about your TCI, but won't work well enough in regular service because you'll have 0 spark advance. From the info I've gleaned, there seem to have been at least four different types of TCI's used on XS / XJ's.

Meanwhile, a few of us on the forum are researching alternative ignition systems in the hope that we will be able to keep our museum pieces going for another 25 or so years. With that in mind, when you diagnose your problem, and if it is the TCI box, would you PLEASE consider helping the cause by sending it to me for evaluation and possible repair?

To put your mind at ease, I have been in electronics repair since 1972 and I've so far repaired two XS TCI's, both of which were my own. And I've never had to toss one. They are repairable if you know the circuitry. So you're not going to get back a hacked-up box. But you stand a very good chance of getting back an operational spare.

I am offering this service free of charge in the interest of all of us. Simply put, the research required to engineer an alternative ignition cannot be done without the original parts to use a guide.

The cost to anyone who is interested is only the two-way postage, which via priority mail is 3.85 each way, or 7.70 TOTAL.

Anyone interested, PM me.

Randy

Comment

Working...
    X