No announcement yet.

81 SH project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That explains why I was getting them mixed up so easily on disassembly. Any idea what I bought? They are labeled as "air jet -oem cv 185". Can anyone here use them?

Thanks motoman for all the help. I'm definitely still a noob but I'm learning a little everyday.
    81 xs1100 SH
    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
    80 suzuki gs550et
    07 suzuki S40

Comment

Originally posted by phatts27 View Post
      That explains why I was getting them mixed up so easily on disassembly. Any idea what I bought? They are labeled as "air jet -oem cv 185". Can anyone here use them?

Thanks motoman for all the help. I'm definitely still a noob but I'm learning a little everyday.
      Hard to do as all three locations(main,pilot,air-jet) use a different configuration of jet.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm having a hell of a time bench syncing my carbs. #4 keeps changing its stop spot. I checked the butterfly and there seems to be some play that none of the other carbs display. Is this a symptom of worn shaft seals or something else? I started to disassemble the carb and thought to make a video.

Here's a vid of the slack

81 xs1100 SH
        81 xs1100 SH (parts)
        80 suzuki gs550et
        07 suzuki S40

Comment

I'm thinking it's not the seals because there's no lateral movement. It seems like the throttle bracket must be worn under the throttle shaft end (seen in this photo).

Is a tac weld here out of the question? Maybe Andreas is my best bet.
          81 xs1100 SH
          81 xs1100 SH (parts)
          80 suzuki gs550et
          07 suzuki S40

Comment

Here's a vid again, the first one stopped working apparently. http://vid44.photobucket.com/albums/...pszrnqz1zs.mp4
            81 xs1100 SH
            81 xs1100 SH (parts)
            80 suzuki gs550et
            07 suzuki S40

Comment

A tack weld will probably ruin the carb body because of the heat. If you have a large soldering iron, that WILL work. Use silver solder, CLEAN everything well, and put flux on the shaft and link then solder QUICKLY. Solder melts at about 400F, and if you do it quickly with a big iron(for mass), it should work fine.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                A tack weld will probably ruin the carb body because of the heat. If you have a large soldering iron, that WILL work. Use silver solder, CLEAN everything well, and put flux on the shaft and link then solder QUICKLY. Solder melts at about 400F, and if you do it quickly with a big iron(for mass), it should work fine.
                +1.......apparently that factory 'crimped' location on end of shaft has worked loose a bit, causing the squared off place to 'round' a bit causing rotational movement.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ed

I think that's the carb body I gave you?

Why not take the parts off your carb body you originally had with the broken float pin that was in the rack and replace them in the new carb body that way they will all that match the carb rack and have the same wear.

Take the screws out of the butterfly and slide it out put the original in
                  82 XJ1100J
                  81 Venturer
                  Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Thanks guys, great advice. Motoman is right, welding it would probably just destroy the carb. Soldering it with a torch iron would be a much less risky move. It's the tiniest bit of slop, but it will never run right if it can't stay centered.

Eastcoaster, that was my first choice but I hit a brick wall trying to remove the plate. Both screws came out fine but the throttle plate will only move around a bit, (spin it, make it off center) It can't cleanly come through the shaft slot to allow for a complete disassembly. I threw the screws through a die and retapped the shaft and slapped it all back together.

I'll try again to get the plate out of the body. If I can't pull the old switcheroo, I'll solder it up.

Looking closer at my (2) #4 carbs, I see that they are different. The throttle shaft stop bracket on my carb is different than the same bracket on eastcoaster's carb. Original carb can only open 100% whereas newscasters carb opens maybe %110.
                    81 xs1100 SH
                    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                    80 suzuki gs550et
                    07 suzuki S40

Comment

Both screws came out fine but the throttle plate will only move around a bit, (spin it, make it off center) It can't cleanly come through the shaft slot to allow for a complete disasembly. I threw the screws through a die and retapped the shaft and slapped it all back together.

I'll try again to get the plate out of the body. If I can't pull the old switcheroo, I'll solder it up.
                      That plate will come out, using a tiny screw driver as a wedge move the plate as far in one direction as possible. Use the screwdriver as a wedge to slightly/gently put just a bit of pressure in between the slot. If that does not do it move the plate to the other side and do the same just gentle. If this doesn't work get another screwdriver and wedge them both into opposite sides of the shaft. Put some rubber or leather over the tips of a pliers and pull it out.
                      Or forget all this, drill 2-4 holes in the space between the shaft and the stopper/adjuster where it's slipping, (get it in the right position before drilling) fill the holes with JB Weld or drill and tap for tiny screws.

It's hard to get those plates/butterflies back in right, leave the screws a little loose and watch for the light under the plate to disappear make sure you tighten in this position then bench sync again.

Looking closer at my (2) #4 carbs, I see that they are different. The throttle shaft stop bracket on my carb is different than the same bracket on eastcoaster's carb. Original carb can only open 100% whereas newscasters carb opens maybe %110.
                      You don't need 110%.
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Thanks! I got the throttle plates off no problem. Now, I can't seem to get the throttle shaft out from the carb body. On the parts carb, the throttle shaft came right out. I'm thinking maybe the end of the shaft was hit with a hammer or something that caused the metal to be a tad wider at the end. I soaked it in pb blaster in case it was crud holding it in to no avail. I then threw it in the freezer hoping the shaft would shrink more than the housing. Again, no go. I put it back in the freezer and I'll hit the housing with a torch in the morning and see what that does.

The bracket is almost not in the pic but here's a comparison shot. Just curious, why might they be different? I'm pretty sure they're from the same year, same model.
                        81 xs1100 SH
                        81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                        80 suzuki gs550et
                        07 suzuki S40

Comment

No torch you will fry the seals does the gas station across the street have a press you might be able to press it out a large vice might do it
                          82 XJ1100J
                          81 Venturer
                          Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Thanks! I got the throttle plates off no problem. Now, I can't seem to get the throttle shaft out from the carb body. On the parts carb, the throttle shaft came right out. I'm thinking maybe the end of the shaft was hit with a hammer or something that caused the metal to be a tad wider at the end. I soaked it in pb blaster in case it was crud holding it in to no avail. I then threw it in the freezer hoping the shaft would shrink more than the housing. Again, no go. I put it back in the freezer and I'll hit the housing with a torch in the morning and see what that does.
                            Aluminum reacts more/faster than steel to temp change. So by getting them cold the aluminum will shrink more than the steel making the shaft hole in the carb tighter. I think using the oven when the wife is gone at under 200°, maybe less (?) would be all you could do.
                            Did you use the small screwdrivers to expand the slots to get the plates/butterflies out ?
                            Maybe expanded to much, (bent them a bit ?) and that is why the shafts won't come out ?
                            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                            80 XS650 G Special II
                            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                            80 XS 1100 SG
                            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

No, I didn't use the screwdrivers to open the slot. I pulled it out like young king Arthur: gently with 2 fingers, I gingerly pulled it through the slot. It Must have been magic because no amount of force would set it free.

The seal on the free end is removed but the bracket side seal remains. I figured if I froze it then heated it up, the steel shaft would stay cooler longer than the aluminum and the hole might have enough clearance to let it through. I don't want to ruin the seal because it looks new. Drilling bracket and either bolts or cold weld seems like my best option now.
                              81 xs1100 SH
                              81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                              80 suzuki gs550et
                              07 suzuki S40

Comment

I'll try the oven first. I guess if I stay under °110 F the remaining shaft seal won't melt. I'm thinking 20 minutes.
                                81 xs1100 SH
                                81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                                80 suzuki gs550et
                                07 suzuki S40

Comment

Working...
                                X