No announcement yet.

81 SH project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting read Marty! What little bit of dielectic grease I have in strategic locations, I promise I'll keep the Bentley 'grounded'........you have a MerryChristmas and be safe if rolling on 2wheels!.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I hope I didn't use too much grease! I may not have even done it right. After cleaning the connections, I smeared grease on only the mate side of the female connectors and slid everything together. I didn't think at all about the grease being an insulator but that is a very good point. I have since cleaned any connections that lead to relays of grease.

Like I said, I am still having some electrical issues. Digging deeper into the harness, I found this link that is either melted at center or fatigued in half. I imagine I can replace this link with an inline fuse. Is this what I want to do? If so what size fuse? What am I looking at here?
      81 xs1100 SH
      81 xs1100 SH (parts)
      80 suzuki gs550et
      07 suzuki S40

Comment

Well, I found this thing in the wiring diagram, it's listed simply as #55 "Diode". It's smack dab in the center of the supplementary sh wiring diagram. How do I go about replacing this guy? sorry about the quality of the photo. It is half green an half white and 100% broke.
        Last edited by phatts27; 12-31-2014, 06:41 PM.
        81 xs1100 SH
        81 xs1100 SH (parts)
        80 suzuki gs550et
        07 suzuki S40

Comment

Duh! I managed to source a suitable diode from the original hacked-up harness. It was safely tucked away under about 4 inches of electrical rubber-tape. l wish I would have thought of that before searching for a replacement. Looking at the diode, I probably broke it when I swapped harnesses.
          81 xs1100 SH
          81 xs1100 SH (parts)
          80 suzuki gs550et
          07 suzuki S40

Comment

Radio Shack will have a diode, if you can get to a store before they are bankrupt and closed. A couple of amp rating should be good, because I think they power the headlight relay, if my memory is not affected by the eggnog. They won't look like the broken one, but will be a round black cylinder with a white band on one end. I hope you remember which end the white half was on, as they will only work one way. The up side is that if you put it in backwards, and it doesn't work, you can turn it around and no harm done.
            CZ

Comment

Originally posted by phatts27 View Post
              Well, I found this thing in the wiring diagram, it's listed simply as #55 "Diode". It's smack dab in the center of the supplementary sh wiring diagram
              It's the latching diode for the headlight relay. The earlier models 78-79 have them inside the relay itself.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Thank you Gordon! Eastcoaster is the man. He let me strip a bunch of parts from his 81 special. I nabbed just about everything I could carry and I'm now the proud owner of a proper xs1100 air box. I love the bike with the box on. Now I'm planning on digging into my carbs again and rejetting to stock spec before the final sync.

At sea level, does the stock setup already run lean? I have the green dyna coils and I will be using a k&n drop in filter so I'd imagine I'll need to finagle the jets a lil for some more gas. Should I reject to stock and go from there or will my mods be too much for stock jets. Would I be wrong if I went up one on the primary for the baseline? Sorry if this question is like beating a dead horse.
                81 xs1100 SH
                81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                80 suzuki gs550et
                07 suzuki S40

Comment

Thank you Gordon! Eastcoaster is the man. He let me strip a bunch of parts from his 81 special. I nabbed just about everything I could carry and I'm now the proud owner of a proper xs1100 air box. I love the bike with the box on. Now I'm planning on digging into my carbs again and rejetting to stock spec before the final sync.

At sea level, does the stock setup already run lean? I have the green dyna coils and I will be using a k&n drop in filter so I'd imagine I'll need to finagle the jets a lil for some more gas. Should I reject to stock and go from there or will my mods be too much for stock jets. Would I be wrong if I went up one on the primary for the baseline? Sorry if this question is like beating a dead horse.
                  Re-jet to stock and you'll be good....110mains/42.5pilots. Make sure air-jet(small Mikuni) on back of bells are all 185's.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thank you motoman, I'll check the bell screws and make sure they're 185. You'll hear about it if they're not, I'm sure. Thanks again
                    81 xs1100 SH
                    81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                    80 suzuki gs550et
                    07 suzuki S40

Comment

Thank you motoman, I'll check the bell screws and make sure they're 185. You'll hear about it if they're not, I'm sure. Thanks again
                      Welcome...........ALL jets need to be Genuine Mikuni's, having their logo.............no aftermarket(K&L or RD). To see the correct size on sides of pilot jets may require some MAGNIFICATION.

Comment

I've already picked up genuine mikuni: (4)42.5 (4)45 (4)47.5 pilots and (4)110 mains from the dealer. The jets that we're in there are not marked and must go. I never thought to check the bell jets. Hopin' they're stock.

Just a little side rant... the local Yamaha dealer doesn't stock jets of any type and had no idea what jets I needed for a stock application. I had to search their parts books for what I needed after they told me "it's hard to match jets". I looked at the guy like he had 3 heads and said "luckily, everything has a part number". I only went to these guys so I wouldn't have to wait for eBay shipping and it still took 4 days for their parts to arrive. Amateurs.
                        81 xs1100 SH
                        81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                        80 suzuki gs550et
                        07 suzuki S40

Comment

I've already picked up genuine mikuni: (4)42.5 (4)45 (4)47.5 pilots and (4)110 mains from the dealer. The jets that we're in there are not marked and must go. I never thought to check the bell jets. Hopin' they're stock.

Just a little side rant... the local Yamaha dealer doesn't stock jets of any type and had no idea what jets I needed for a stock application. I had to search their parts books for what I needed after they told me "it's hard to match jets". I looked at the guy like he had 3 heads and said "luckily, everything has a part number". I only went to these guys so I wouldn't have to wait for eBay shipping and it still took 4 days for their parts to arrive. Amateurs.
                          With FI being the norn, would'nt surprise me that in the near future when one may walk into a stealer asking for jets and get a look like your a bug from outerspace.........definitely happened to me 20yrs. ago in the automotive world pertaining to GM Quadrajets.... OEM jets were NA!...........JAT thought for the future.

Comment

Hey motoman, you were right to check the air jets. Mine had no double squares and we're marked 190.

I'm looking to get the correct mikuni 185 air jets and I need 4 of them. I think I need (4)b42/55/185. Are these right? The dealership is no help with jets and they charge a 20% restocking fee.
                            81 xs1100 SH
                            81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                            80 suzuki gs550et
                            07 suzuki S40

Comment

Does anyone know the correct part number for these air jets? The replacements I bought are wrong. I got the ones I was asking about in my previous post and the threads are wrong.
                              81 xs1100 SH
                              81 xs1100 SH (parts)
                              80 suzuki gs550et
                              07 suzuki S40

Comment

Does anyone know the correct part number for these air jets? The replacements I bought are wrong. I got the ones I was asking about in my previous post and the threads are wrong.
                                Just that they are designated as Small Mikuni main jets. Your local Yammy,Suzy,or Kawy stealer ought to have them in stock. A Honda dealer won't as those all use Kiehn jets.

Comment

Working...
                                X