Transmission Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Repair

I was wondering what the average mileage would be before a transmission on these things needs to be overhauled. I understand it has a lot to do with how the bike has been beaten. I bought a used motor with 32K on it. I was wondering if I should just do now, as opposed to waiting and having to turn the bike upside down, and that other baloney.

Thanks
    Tim McNally
    79 XS Special- Needs transmission
    80 XS Special - Frozen motor
    80 XS Special - Lookin' Good
    76 CB750 Four
    2000 Nomad

Originally posted by timoteo539 View Post
    I was wondering what the average mileage would be before a transmission on these things needs to be overhauled. I understand it has a lot to do with how the bike has been beaten. I bought a used motor with 32K on it. I was wondering if I should just do now, as opposed to waiting and having to turn the bike upside down, and that other baloney.

Thanks
    I did one just to "see" I found locally that had 32K on.
    Have you done this before ? The guys here helped me through it as I found I was over my head getting that gear cluster back in, think I was on my back near a month on/off. Did it with the rear wheel off, front end lifted.
    I bought a new 79SF and rode for 56K no trouble, sold it and within a summer the guy that bought it was complaining that 2nd went out before the end of summer 4th was out. I told him he was not shifting it right but maybe it's an age thing too.
    I'd pull the cover and have a look at the dogs just to see by how much they are catching the slots. More likely they are just barely and you can see a little groove in the dog where it locks up just below the end and if it's rounded.
    As long as it's out of the bike might as well do the washer swap and if your that far square up the dogs and slots. Take off as little as possible !
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
      I did one just to "see" I found locally that had 32K on.
      Have you done this before ? The guys here helped me through it as I found I was over my head getting that gear cluster back in, think I was on my back near a month on/off. Did it with the rear wheel off, front end lifted.
      I bought a new 79SF and rode for 56K no trouble, sold it and within a summer the guy that bought it was complaining that 2nd went out before the end of summer 4th was out. I told him he was not shifting it right but maybe it's an age thing too.
      I'd pull the cover and have a look at the dogs just to see by how much they are catching the slots. More likely they are just barely and you can see a little groove in the dog where it locks up just below the end and if it's rounded.
      As long as it's out of the bike might as well do the washer swap and if your that far square up the dogs and slots. Take off as little as possible !
      No, I never have done one. But I thought it would be easier with the engine out.
      Thanks
      Tim
      Tim McNally
      76 CB750 Four
      2000 Nomad

Comment

No, I never have done one. But I thought it would be easier with the engine out.
        Thanks
        Tim
        Yeah Tim,
        definitely easier with engine out !
        I did the SH that I sold, bought it just to put it back on the road and get the experience. Could not have done it without these folks.
        I'm sure you checked the threads here, very detailed trans fix.
        Ask if you have any questions, everyone is glad to help.
        Don'e
        Last edited by donebysunday; 11-19-2014, 11:40 AM.
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Hey Tim,

The dogs and slots are square cut OEM....except for 3rd for some reason, but Yamaha "learned" about the poor design, and in their replacement gears they undercut them, dogs and slots. I've heard from folks that in the later years they undercut the dogs/slots in the factory on newer model bikes. So it's a known flaw, and can fail at any time....as stated dependent on the way the bike is used. Not being the original owner, you can't rely on how it was ridden. I was not a chronic or consistent abuser, just would on occasion do the speed shift thing. Mine went out around the 50K mark....can't be more specific because my odometer went out at ~975 miles, just used my tripometer for 10 years! :ROLLEYES: My first gear went first, and 2nd just a few months later.

Having the engine out can make it easier, but you'll need to put it into 4th gear to allow removal of the countershaft assembly, rotate the driveshaft ujoint while shifting to help complete the shifts.

OR you can do like Tod/TRBig likes to do and split the cases. IF you do, then would also suggest inspecting the starter clutch parts because it can't be accessed or repaired without splitting the cases.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Tim,

The dogs and slots are square cut OEM....except for 3rd for some reason, but Yamaha "learned" about the poor design, and in their replacement gears they undercut them, dogs and slots. I've heard from folks that in the later years they undercut the dogs/slots in the factory on newer model bikes. So it's a known flaw, and can fail at any time....as stated dependent on the way the bike is used. Not being the original owner, you can't rely on how it was ridden. I was not a chronic or consistent abuser, just would on occasion do the speed shift thing. Mine went out around the 50K mark....can't be more specific because my odometer went out at ~975 miles, just used my tripometer for 10 years! :ROLLEYES: My first gear went first, and 2nd just a few months later.

Having the engine out can make it easier, but you'll need to put it into 4th gear to allow removal of the countershaft assembly, rotate the driveshaft ujoint while shifting to help complete the shifts.

OR you can do like Tod/TRBig likes to do and split the cases. IF you do, then would also suggest inspecting the starter clutch parts because it can't be accessed or repaired without splitting the cases.

T.C.
            What happened is this. I had 2 Kawas. A 2000 Nomad which my wife and I use for trips and a KLR650 which I loved for one-up. Plus a CB750 four which I want to sell. I live in the mountains with uneven roads and I have short legs. At least for a dual sport. I would come to a stop, put my left leg down on a slope, and the bike would come down on me. My wife said I had to get rid of it. I was getting too beat up. Plus I had to replace the handlebar levers so often, I started stocking them. I was looking to trade for a naked Goldwing. I ran across an ad for this '79 XS1100, which I knew nothing about. The guy wanted cash or trade for a dual sport. We made a deal, and swapped bikes. I got the short end of the stick. The XS needs transmission work. But I fell in love with it's acceleration. Wow! What a trip! So now I have 3 of them. A '79, an '80, and an '81( just picked this one up over the weekend). And a spare motor with good compression from a '79. This motor is what I am talking about. It is going into the '80 with a seized motor. (right now it is anchored in the back of my pickup for winter traction. Don't worry. I have a cap.) The bike is beautiful otherwise. I now have 5 bikes with the average age of over 30 years old.

That is my story. I think I am insane.
            Last edited by timoteo539; 11-19-2014, 08:07 PM.
            Tim McNally
            76 CB750 Four
            2000 Nomad

Comment

Your in pretty good company here.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Your in pretty good company here.
                I saw this other ad on Craig's list.
                http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/4753212342.html

I emailed about the bike, but the owner never got back to me. I have to thank him for that.
                Tim McNally
                76 CB750 Four
                2000 Nomad

Comment

I would hit him up again, That's an 81 Venturer.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

... I now have 5 bikes with the average age of over 30 years old.

Welcome to the madness ...
                    Marco

Current bikes:
                    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                    1979 Honda CBX
                    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

That is a fine looking example of a Venturer. If i was closer i would be making room in the garage.....HOW would i do that ?
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Tranny

Wouldn't hurt to pull it apart and have a look now while it's easy to get at. At least do the "Bob Jones" washer swap even if everything looks good.
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA
                        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                        Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

Thanks
                          I'd definitely look at it now while the engine is out. But if the dogs and slots look OK, I'd just leave it.

I had three engines from really awful parts bikes and decided to practice on them. I followed the tutorial on here and got the gears out and in, no problem. I did it several times just to practice before breaking the engines for spare parts. I didn't actually do the dremel fix on the gears though..... just taking them out and putting them back.

One thing though...on all three engines, I found it absolutely impossible to get the gears back in if I did the 'washer switch' detailed in the tutorial..moving the washer from one side of second gear to the other. I tried for hours on each engine and there was just no way the gears would go back in if I switched the washer. Once I put it back where it came from, they went straight back in.

I bet the process is not half so easy done lying on one's back under the bike though! With the front end lifted high up or the bike turned upside down, it would no doubt be easier but far better with the engine out and upside down.....

On my current project, I checked the gears with the engine upside down and the transmission pan off. The dogs and slots all looked fine, so I didn't bother taking them out. The bike has done 38,000 miles. I personally wouldn't do the dremel fix on mine, only gear replacement with the undercut replacement gears.
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Yeah James, they are a little tougher to get back in with the washer moved but they will go. You just have to work the gears on the other end of the shaft until it falls into place. I've done it several times.

I've found it much easier to get them back in with the shift drum removed but then the detent for the drum is a mother bear to get back into place but it will go too.

Most definitely easier to do with the engine out and upside down. Just remember to remove the oil pan BEFORE you flip it over or anything laying in the bottom of that pan will end up in the top part of the engine.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                            X