No announcement yet.

Accel Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks TC. I read it. Wires will be in on thursday so I'm making steady progress.
    Gene (Florida)
    1980 XS1100SG
    Accel Coils
    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

I am ready to wire these up. Ballast is jumped. I read all through the forum for wiring and plug sequence. Does any of this matter?
      Gene (Florida)
      1980 XS1100SG
      Accel Coils
      4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Hey Gene,

What matters is that you connect the correct control wires/pickup wires to the correct coil for the correct pair of plugs. The Grey controls 1 pair, the right pair for plugs 2-3, the orange the left coil that controls 1-4. But it doesn't matter which plug wire from the pair goes to which of the paired plugs since it's a wasted spark system, they both spark at the same time.

HTH.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you Topcat. Time to connect everything.
          Gene (Florida)
          1980 XS1100SG
          Accel Coils
          4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Gentleman, we have lift off. The engine fired right up. Sounds great now that the carbs have been thoroughly cleaned.

Thank you all for your assistance. I want to have this on the road by end of the year.

Time for a glass of wine to celebrate a small victory.
            Gene (Florida)
            1980 XS1100SG
            Accel Coils
            4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Trick Coils And Wires

I have at one time or another tried all the hot coils (Accel) and wires on the dyno and didn't find anything vs the stock coils (good ones) and fresh stock wires.

Of course more electrical firepower can't hurt however the more juice you send through the wires too the plugs the more apt you are to have leakage in the wires unless of course you use those thick trick yellow silicone wrapped plug wires that look so cool.

If your XS has 11:1 static compression or more you might need more juice to light the fire and up past 12:1 you definately need more however on a 10:1 motor the stock coils and wires work fine, if they are in perfect shape of course.

If the coils on your stock bike check good along with the wires you are good to go and you can spend your money on something else and if they don't check good, replace them.

Of course some folks just like to spend money on cool looking stuff..........just like I once did.
              81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Dan,
                Do you think hot coils might be good for 1 mpg over stock, or would the dyno tell that?
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Dan- You're one guy I'd never argue with, lol.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Dan, I spent that money 5 years ago and figured while it was apart I would install them. Installation complete. Started right up. On to my exhaust which starts my next set of questions.
                    Gene (Florida)
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    Accel Coils
                    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                    X