Accel Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accel Coils

Can anyone tell me if it's worth the change? Nothing wrong with my stock one's, but I have a set of 3ohms brand new in a box since 2009.
    Gene (Florida)
    1980 XS1100SG
    Accel Coils
    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Change them and match them up with some ACCEL 8.8mm Stainless wires. Carry all the voltage you need right to the plug and they are yellow so they give a splash of color to the top of the motor. Look at the 2nd bike from the right above, that's mine and you can see them. (hey, I just said this in another thread a minute ago).
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Thanks Mike. I see your bike, nice! So the 8.8 yellow graphite cable that came with it are not that good?
      Gene (Florida)
      1980 XS1100SG
      Accel Coils
      4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by gene View Post
        Thanks Mike. I see your bike, nice! So the 8.8 yellow graphite cable that came with it are not that good?
        Graphite wire are meant to be used in situations where they are tied down at regular intervals so that they do not vibrate. In our situation on the bikes they just hang there and vibrate away. The graphite breaks and spark drops off. That is why you should use a spark plug wire with a wire core rather than graphite.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I always use carbon-fibre core, silicone leads.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Graphite wire are meant to be used in situations where they are tied down at regular intervals so that they do not vibrate. In our situation on the bikes they just hang there and vibrate away. The graphite breaks and spark drops off. That is why you should use a spark plug wire with a wire core rather than graphite.
            Good info! I always wondered about stranded wire verses graphite...
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Gene,

Your profile says you have an 81Sh, so you do NOT have a ballast resistor to deal with. THis will be a plug and play type of install. You will notice that when you go to start the bike that it will fire up much stronger and quicker/easier with the Accels vs. the OEM's. The Accels have about twice the spark energy ~30+ KV vs. the ~15 KV of the OEMs.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Honestly, I have not noticed any difference in starting, etc. Tad made a comment about carrying voltage to the plug, and that's conditional not only on the coil, but the connections to the coil. That's why many do coil relay mods to bandaid the back connections. If you have 'em, put 'em to use. But, don't be sad if you don't see much of a difference.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The higher voltage coils such as the Accel or Dyna will "pep" up the bike some and should definitely be noticable, I would use the new wires you have already, JMHO
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Let me know if this will work. I mounted posts down.
                    Gene (Florida)
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    Accel Coils
                    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Gene (Florida)
                      1980 XS1100SG
                      Accel Coils
                      4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Gene (Florida)
                        1980 XS1100SG
                        Accel Coils
                        4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Looks good, don't forget to bypass the ballast resistor if so equipped.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

TC, I just updated my profile. It's a 1980 Im working on now. The 81' ended up be a parts bike for me. So just by pass the ballast?
                            Gene (Florida)
                            1980 XS1100SG
                            Accel Coils
                            4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Hopefully you read Phil's reply above , but otherwise yep, just jumper the harness connector wires together to bypass it, not needed since the coils have the 3 ohms the TCI needs to see to run and not draw too much current thru it.

T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X