Clutch spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch spring question

I feel a shutter in the bike when in 4th gear and pulling hard. Wondering if the clutch is slipping. I will be changing my oil in a week and thought that I would pull the clutch and do some measuring. In preparation of this I have pulled the clutch from my next project and can use these springs if needed. With that being said, those springs all measure good (42.25mm) and all have one side painted blue.

The question is: anyone know if the blue is a brand or a tension or length?

Thanks,
    79 XS11

Hey Bart,

A shudder could be a sign of slippage, but usually it's like when you are in 4th and under hard throttle, the engine speed will suddenly rise a bit but the bike will NOT feel like it's going any faster. A good cleaning of the steels....removal of varnish or such, and ensuring that they are true/flat would be good to do while you're changing the springs.

I would not recommend using any old springs even though they may still be within length spec....they just aren't that strong anyways, and after years of being compressed in the clutch pack, and with the heat stress they can loose their strength. I had a set of heavy duty aftermarket ones...ie. Vesrah that were just a few years old, and they started slipping...and had full 3.00 mm spec frictions! This was many years ago, and that's why I did the extra steel plate mod. But NOW, we recommend just putting in the BARNETT springs instead, they are much bettter and stronger than the Vesrah and other brand aftermarket ones. I can't explain about the blue paint on the side, but mine had that also!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think I installed a set of Vesrah HD springs many years ago that were blue. P.S. No problem with those. Just stay away from things like Mobil 1 pure synthetic!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
        Just stay away from things like Mobil 1 pure synthetic!
        I never had any trouble with the stuff designed for a motorcycle. Stock springs and all!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Well all I can say is if you suspect the springs then change them. It is not that hard to service the clutch and aftermarket springs are relatively cheap. If you do it all on the side stand you don't even need to drain the oil.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

The springs all measured good as well as the disks. I hear what everyone says about new springs, but being cheap and (if it ain't broke don't fix it upbringing), so it's all back together and clutch cable is adjusted. It pulled to 100 real quick and was smooth. Plan on riding and just keeping an eye on everything for now.
            79 XS11

Comment

The clutch usually won't cause a shudder. You might want to take a look at the ujoints.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I was thinking drive line also. It has only done it 3 or 4 times this year and always at the top of fourth gear. Just felt it in the seat of my pants for a moment before letting off the gas. I'll start checking U joints as you suggested.
                79 XS11

Comment

Working...
                X