New Bike Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike Question

A friend just gave me a '79 XS1100SF. The chasis is all together but the engine is in about five boxes. That is not really a problem, as manuals are available. What I really need is a top piston ring.
    All the other rings are OK.
    Any suggestions.
    David Abercrombie

1979 XS1100SF

I heard rings were hard to get. According to the web site, www.bikebandit.com, they have some for my XS if I need them. You can try there.

-Jonathan
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Used Rings

David, do not consider reassembling an engine with used rings. The engine rings/pistons/cylinders will never seal properly. Go for a full set of new rings and also have the cylinders honed or at least de-glazed so that your new rings have a surface that will allow things to re-seat.(don't remove any more material from the cylinders then necessary-just enough to scuff up the cylinders with a slight cross hatch pattern)
      If you don't then the engine will always be down on compression and have trouble controlling oil consumption.
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyk
      82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for both suggestions. Hopefully I can call the one place this week and see if they have any rings on the shelf. I appreciate both of your responses.
        This web site has been the best source that I have found for this bike.
        The bike only has 14k miles on it. I think that it is worth doing a rebuild on it.
        David Abercrombie

1979 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
        X