Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the Reserve Lighting Unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove the Reserve Lighting Unit?

I've installed a new Truck-Lite LED headlight, and it's great, except that when I switch from high beam to low beam, the high beam stays on and flickers.

I think what is happening is the RLU is getting confused because of the low current draw from the LEDs, causing some kind of feedback loop. I want to remove the RLU, but the wiring diagram's a little confusing.

Has anyone done this? I guess I can figure it out if I take the time, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

To bypass the Reserve Lighting Unit: Unplug unit and connect blu/blk and blu/yel together at the harness plug. That should do it.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The flicker has nothing to do with the RLU. I removed mine when I installed HID bulbs and didn't put it back when I installed the Truck-Lite bulb. The Truck-Lite bulb does flicker on high-beam at idle. If you raise the RPM, it should shine solid without issue.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I'm talking about a different thing. The slight flicker at idle is obviously due to lower voltage. I'm sure that can be fixed with a couple of relays, now that the RLU is gone.

What I'm talking about is that when the high beam is on, and the light is drawing 40 watts (both LEDS on), and then I switch to low beam, the high beam doesn't go off. It strobes. At the same time, the RLU indicator light flashes, too. The only way to stop the strobing is to turn off the ignition.

I think it's because the RLU is reacting to the sudden drop from 40 to 20 watts.

I've removed the RLU using BikerPhil's kind instructions, but haven't ridden the bike yet because it's raining cats and dogs. And I just shined up the bike. Vanity, thy name is bikers. Anyway, I'll let you know how it works out.
        Last edited by sthomag; 11-06-2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Ahh! Gotcha. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Removing the Reserve Lighting Unit did the trick. The Truck Lite LED headlight now switches between High and Low with no problem.

I can recommend this light. It's very bright; the beam is a little uneven, due to the faceted reflector I guess, but it's very effective. I saw complaints on the Amazon site that it has an "X"-shaped pattern, but they must have changed the reflector, because I don't see any such thing. It has a very sharp cutoff on low beam, but still throws enough light above to light up signs, etc. On high beam it's just terrific.

Just make sure to disconnect the RLU before you install it.

Comment

Working...
            X