79sf compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79sf compression

is very high on the 2 SFs I have, Horse with no name is 180 on all, Old time rock n roll I just checked 1/180, 2/170, 3/160, 4/190 this is crazy yes/no ?

Also the tank cap was crusty and could hardly push air through, took it all apart and everything was clear. Cleaned up the exterior surface with brass tooth brush and air flows freely ?

Also when I got it home it was full of E10, wanted to change that out for non ethanol, the tank was empty, did not notice drippng, don't see signs of ever dripping ?

Thanks for any comments ! Done
    Last edited by donebysunday; 11-02-2014, 03:08 PM.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Wierd

Seems wrong to have higher-than-spec compression.

Only reason I can think of is excess fluid (gas/) in the cylinders, but it would seem so unlikely that all 8 cylinders could have that. Besides, the not-under-test cylinders would blow out any fluid if the plugs were out.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

High compression numbers

I think those numbers are very high as well..as mentioned excess fluid in cylinders or HUGE carbon deposits?
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Indeed, Horse (180 all) showed black sooty plugs, Old Time (160-190) the plugs were dark brown and a bit glossy.
        Explanation it most likely will be simple.
        I'll check the two 81s next the LH has been tested before at 150 all, SH has not been checked.
        I've run Horse about 20 mi. since I checked the compression, I'll check it again.
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

No, they really are not high, they are good! Lots of people have that as compression, especially if you check when the carbs are off. 190 seems to be about the top for compression, never heard anyone hit 200.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            No, they really are not high, they are good! Lots of people have that as compression, especially if you check when the carbs are off. 190 seems to be about the top for compression, never heard anyone hit 200.
            Thanks Nate !
            I had thought 150 was perfect ? There would be a deference in the performance from a bike at 150 compared to 180/190, YES ?
            Carbs were on but throttle held wide open. Don'e
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Yep, I've gotten those numbers on pretty much every motor when tested with the plugs out and the carbs off. Yamaha's rather low 'factory' spec was probably to give them plenty of 'wiggle room' for warranty purposes...

And I have seen 200; one I checked came in at between 190 and 200 across the four cylinders and ran great... still on regular fuel.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have consistently had those kinds of numbers for years. Some of it may have to do with how much the head gasket compresses if you have ever changed it to an aftermarket gasket. Spark plug tip/insulator configuration can have a slight affect also. Then there is always that set of pistons/rings that are right in tolerance and let virtually no blow by through. If it runs well I wouldn't worry about it.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                X