Carb slides??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb slides??

I find to my dismay that the Yamaha parts catalouge page is currently unavailable. Is this temporary, or ....not?

I went there on finding that my woes were caused because I reassembled the no 4 carb slide needle with the spring above the clip.
    When I pulled it apart, I found it was set in the middle position, and a fiddly thing to get back in, so I assumed that all the others were like wise.....and didn't look at the them. I didn't find the discrepancy until I measured the length of the needles, as part of yet another 'carb clean'

Sadly when I first pulled it apart, I didn't see if the spring was above or below, [it just popped out] and I assumed that it would be above the clip keeping the needle firm in the bottom of the slide, instead, it would appear that the springs are underneath pushing the clip up against the plastic spindle.

In essence I had the no 4 needle 2-3mm lower than the others, no wonder it felt like one slide wasn't lifting when power was required. Needless to say, it runs rather better now!
    I've had a good wash, and I think I've got all the egg off my face.

Are the springs meant to be above, or below the clip?

Springs

Hey Badger When you put your slide back together the order is needle ,plastic ring ,clip,SPRING, and plate to hold it all in. The plastic ring has a piece that fits in a slot on the slide, get it in the slot. Hope this helps.. bkr

Comment

Spring

Hey Badger Got the order mixed up, should be Needle, plastic piece, clip, steel washer, spring, & plate to hold it all together. Too early in the morning. bkr

Comment

Thanks BKR,

The Yamaha site is back up again, and you're quite correct springs on top, plastic ring under.

I think I'm to be excused for a little of my debacle, as I sort of guessed [half] right.

Amazing how someone, long ago carefuly assembled them all back to front..........or would that be upside down.

Thanks again for your response.

Comment

Suggestions??

I've had a play with the needle settings, dropped them, and raised them roughly 1mm each way just to see what would happen.

On the lower [leaner] setting it didn't seem to be too much different from the original setting [i.e. quite good from idle onward, perhaps a bit less grunt from 2500-4000rpm] except it would barely pull more than 6500 rpm.
          The higher [richer] setting produced slight loading just off idle, but had the tacho beyond 7k rpm, which is more than the original setting would give.

This has me thinking that I was wrong in my initial diagnosis that the main jets [125's] were too big.
          I'm now thinking that they're too small and I want to try bigger ones, the question is 'how much bigger?'

My inclination is to have a go at 130's.
          Any comments, suggestions?

Also I expect that if I put bigger mains in, the mid range will become richer, and I may need to lower the needles to maintain the same mix.

Yes, No???

Comment

Needels

Hey Badger You being in Australia and me in Canada in would be top to bottom LOL. Try a site called Factory C V Carb Tuning , just type into Yahoo Page. Lots of info. on carbs. Good Luck. bkr

Comment

pins

Very droll bkr, only, I maintain that since I get around on my feet all day, it must be you of the other end of the earth who are the wrong way down!

Comment

This has me thinking that I was wrong in my initial diagnosis that the main jets [125's] were too big.
                Badger,
                What bike do you have, and any mods such as air filter, exhaust, etc.?
                Gary
                79sf
                78e

Comment

Upside Down Under

Hey Badger You have a valid point, some mornings i feel like i have danced on my head all night. Ride Safe... bkr

Comment

I've got Emgo cone filters and a 4 into 1, any suggestions on jet size? I've got my needles set as rich as possible, but haven't ridden it yet due to other difficulties. I'm sure this isnt a rare combo, and I'd love to get some recommendations.
                    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Hey there Tom,

Stock jets on the SF are 137.5, and according to the jetting guide with that combo, you would go up 4-1 sizes for a 7.5 size jump to 145's! You'll need to check your plugs, and you may need to adjust your needles back to the middle and restart adjustments from there once you put the new jets in!? You might also need to turn the pilot screws out a bit as well to richen the idle circuit, again depending on how it runs and plug color!? Good Luck!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Tommy,
                        My SF ended up with OE pilot jets, 142.5 mains and the needles in the OE position (3rd or centre position) the pilot screws are a a "tad" over 2 turns out and it runs GREAT!
                        I am using the EMGOS and have a MAC 4 into 1 (no baffle!)
                        Plugs are light brown/tan and seem good.
                        Travel safe, Larry
                        '79 Special

Comment

Working...
                        X