X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Basket Compatibility

Gents,

Got a quick question.

While replacing my clutch I decided to go 9 ft/lbs on the six clutch bolts, snapped one off, guess 7 ft/lbs is enough. Oops

Anyway, will a clutch assembly from an '82 XS1100 fit my 1979 XS1100 Special?

Ray

clutch

Ray, did you mean an 82 xj?..............MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Mitch, that's the only information I have on a Ebay buyitnow assy.

"Complete clutch assembly from an '82 XS1100 with 21,000 miles. Excellent used condition. No signs of excessive wear or abuse."

I just need the the basket with the posts, just don't want to get something that doesn't fit.

Ray

Comment

Clutch assembly/baskets use the same part numbers from the original '78 XS 11 through the XJ, so the ebay unit should fit OK.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

clutch basket

Ray

I have an '82 model and picked up a '79 Standard Model (square Tank 1100E) clutch basket from a breakers that fit in just fine - exactly the same item down to all the casting marks

Think you'll be OK

Good Luck - Graham
          XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
          Guzzi 850
          Z1000

Comment

I knew there was something I wanted to add, but just now remembered it. See if the guy selling the basket will throw in the shaft Spacer/flat bearing that comes with it. Quote from the manual:

IF the primary driven gear/"clutch housing" or spacer are to be replaced, they must be sized to each other!! Each part is marked with either one or two lines. A primary drive with one line may be used with a spacer having either one or two lines, but a primary drive marked with two lines must be used with a spacer having two lines!

You'll find these line markings on the end of the spacer, and on the bottom/gear side of the basket, the outer wider gear ring, on it's edge viewing the gear teeth on their side, in other words, basket laying flat down with gear rings facing up towards you!

HTH.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X