help with 79 xs1100 special fork oil replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with 79 xs1100 special fork oil replacement

Just noticed a leak at the top of my fork.

Been Googling for over 30 min. Hard to get handle so I gotta ask....
    1. Pretty sure the fork seals I need are 37x48x10.5,..right?
    2. 10W oil,...right? (as per factory,...so I've read)
    3. How much oil to use?

I can't find a how to change or a manual. Seems these forks are also air assist??...so I have to worry about air pressure too? How do I adjust air pressure.

Thanks in advance!
    Rob - 79 SF

8th item down. 10W is good, I just use synthetic ATF.

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yama...ory%5D=chassis

There should be air valves at the top of each fork tube in the cap. Pressure varies according to the rider. I run 20 - 25 psi. I like it stiff and I also have a fairing.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Pretty sure the fork seals I need are 37x48x10.5,..right?
      Yes, that is correct for the 79 Special.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

MrHammer,
        How bad is the leak? when did it start? This late in your riding season maybe just ride on until winter ?
        I use 15W fork oil. I am full size and have a fairing. I may even go to 20W next time. Read the info on here and in the Manual You do have a manual
        When yo do take them apart you should measure your springs to be sure they are still in spec. Also plan to clean inspect and lube the steering head bearings in the triple tree.
        I highly recommend the secret weapon special tool you will need to fabricate from ABS pipe so you can get the spring back down the tube and the cap back on.
        Rebuilding the forks is a 15 to 30 minute job which will probably take ALL day.
        So plan a week end or take a couple of days off work
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Some help

Read Crazy Steve's thread as a guide... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37399

If you don't have one download the manual from Catatonic Bugs web page... http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html.

Take your time and do a thorough job with the forks... it make a big difference once they are clean with fresh fluid.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X