No announcement yet.

spits ans putters at full throttle...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spits ans putters at full throttle...?

Bought the bike with pod filters and runs very good. Hauls butt, however at WOT over 5K it seems to spit ans sputter. 3/4 throttle is plenty enough to get me moving fast, but just wanted to know your thoughts on what could be the issue. Like I said,..it's only WOT that I have any issue.

2 things:
    1. All stock except for pod filters and MAC 4 into 2 exhaust. (did not need jet change)
    2. My header has turned blueish which I know is lean.

Thanks!
    Rob - 79 SF

The easiest most obvious things to check for first are #1 broken pick up coil wires, #2 resistor caps making good contact with plug wire core.

How old are your plugs?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks BA80. I just bought bike so not sure how old plugs are. I will pull them and check conditions and contacts. Where do I check the pick up coil wires? Do you mean spark plug wires or something in the primary?
      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Under the left engine cover. 4 little bolts.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

OK.. before going into all that, which pod filters are they? The cheap ones will cover up your carb openings.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Good point Tod. I never thought of that. He should be able to just take them off and take a test ride to see if that is it.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yup.. if they are the cheap ones that just snap to the rubber boot like these...

... then remove the filters, boot and all and go for a quick zip down the road. If all is well, there's a couple options for a fix.

Here's a pic of the cheap ones on the left with the closed opening that block carb jets, and the better pod filters on the right that are the same size opening all the way through...

It's that step-down on the inside of the opening that gets you.

*Edit.. and here's a pic of the way the boot covers the jets..

Last edited by trbig; 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

You guys are awesome! They are foam covered, not K&N,...so don't know if they are cheapo's. So take them all off and go for a ride,..right?

I was actually thinking about doing velocity stacks (with mesh inserts) but thought that would require a re-jet (not looking forward to that.)
                Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Keep some kind of filter on there. Mesh won't keep the fine stuff out and that's like sandpaper on cylinder walls and other internals.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Keep some kind of filter on there. Mesh won't keep the fine stuff out and that's like sandpaper on cylinder walls and other internals.
                    Thanks...will do. Can I assume that K&N is the best pod filter? All others seem to be some sort of knock off,..don;t want the same problem.
                    Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                      Thanks...will do. Can I assume that K&N is the best pod filter? All others seem to be some sort of knock off,..don;t want the same problem.
                      Not necessarily. The XS650 has very similar carburetors, and the common knowledge among those folks is UNI filters work best. (2nd best to airbox) I don't know if you can even get four of them on an XS1100, but suffice to say you may have some options.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
                        You can get the same as K&N for a lot cheaper. The pods at MikesXS.com look nice and the XS logo on them is cool, but they're $80 for the set.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-0035.html

Ape Racing Products is where I order mine from. $60 + shipping. You need part # 005-121. As good or better than K&N. Here's the page to order from along with a picture of them.

http://ape-store.com/shopsite/page25.html

BUT....... Make sure this is your problem. Generally, the foam covered style filters are decent filters that don't have the problems I spoke of earlier. Greg's advice to not run with filters may have been confusing, but yes, you need to pull them off and make a quick run without them to see if that is/was the problem. Just don't leave them off permanently was what he was saying.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

You know you always have the option of going back to an xs1100 air box assembly. That is unless your bike is modified in such a way that the air box would not look right. From a performance stand point the pods are not doing anything for the bike. You stated you have the mac 4 into 2 exhaust so putting the stock air box back on would not cause any jetting issues either.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            Greg's advice to not run with filters may have been confusing, but yes, you need to pull them off and make a quick run without them to see if that is/was the problem. Just don't leave them off permanently was what he was saying.
                            Ha ha....reread my post Tod and put down the fruit jar.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Ha ha....reread my post Tod and put down the fruit jar.

Have read it several times and apparently don't have a clue what you're trying to tell him. First you say to take them off and make a run, then you say leave some sort of filter on. If I assumed your intent wrong, then put down your beer and explain, because I'm sure confused what you want then.

If you are telling him to leave some sort of filter on while he's checking to see if his filters are the problem.. then I disagree with you and a short couple miles isn't going to hurt if he doesn't plan on taking it down a dirt road.

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100