right side mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right side mirror

i have a 80 xs1100 lg midnight special I recently purchased. I found that the right side mirror was broken off and nothing is sticking up to gat ahold of to get it out. I believe that the thread is left hand on this side so using an easy out will not work. will I have drill a hole in the center of the threaded part and tap the hole with a threading tap ( right hand) to get it out? any other ideas? thanks.....

I would start drilling it out gradually increasing drill bit size and using penetrating oil. Use a center punch first to dimple exact center. The broken piece will hopefully spin out after heating from the drilling, in this case spinning it out will be clockwise which works in your favor. If it doesn't spin out you can probably colapse and remove the piece after it has been weakened enough. I would avoid using a tap as an EZ out, if it snaps you are done, GL
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Easy Outs SUCK anyways! Too brittle and not really designed for really STUCK pieces.

Do you have access to a welder?? That would be the easiest, tack a hex head bolt to it. The heat would also help to break the corrosion weld that has probably occurred between the aluminum housing and the steel mirror shaft!

Apply plenty of PB blaster first, then apply a few doses of heat gun heat to help expand the aluminum to break any corrosion. Then you could try using a dremel and cutting a straight screwdriver slot into the top/tip of the remaining mirror shaft, and TRY to get it to turn with a large screwdriver??

Drilling into it may also be a way, using a small enough bit to not hit the thread zone. Then you could tap it, put the bolt in it with a lock NUT on it, run the lock nut down against the remaining piece, and then try to unscrew the bolt and take the piece with it??

Good Luck.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'd shoot the center out after removing it from the bike using a drill press and step up drill sizes till it broke free also.

Alternate approach would be to take it to a machine shop and pay a few bucks because not everyone has a spare drill press laying around in the garage to use.
        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
        73 & 74 RD 350's
        73 Honda CL 450
        Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by cmpnbd2 View Post
          i have a 80 xs1100 lg midnight special I recently purchased. I found that the right side mirror was broken off and nothing is sticking up to gat ahold of to get it out. I believe that the thread is left hand on this side so using an easy out will not work. will I have drill a hole in the center of the threaded part and tap the hole with a threading tap ( right hand) to get it out? any other ideas? thanks.....
          If you drill in the center of the broken piece with just a regular drill bit, it might catch and back it right out. Soak it with some penetrating oil for a few hours first.

BTW, a square easy out works pretty well in BOTH directions.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

mirror

thanks people for all the good ideas, I do have a tabletop drill press, have drills and taps. I appreciate the help. I just love thinking outside the box, don't you?

Comment

replacement mirrors on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181369832886...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161179640731...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

a little pricey but they are no longer available from Yamaha and if you like original they are worth the price.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                replacement mirrors on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181369832886...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161179640731...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

a little pricey but they are no longer available from Yamaha and if you like original they are worth the price.
                That's a much better price than you were going to get from the dealer when they were available! You better act fast!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

mirrors

they seem to both be right hand

Comment

Unless the front master cylinder has been changed or some fool threaded a right hand threaded mirror into it (wouldn't be the first time I've seen that) the right mirror should be let hand thread.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

k i'll check it out

Comment

I've found the mirrors are only good for checking your arm pits...lol. Be nice if they stuck out a couple inch's more.

What about using a dremel to make cut just deep enough to get a screwdriver in?
                        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Unless the front master cylinder has been changed or some fool threaded a right hand threaded mirror into it (wouldn't be the first time I've seen that) the right mirror should be let hand thread.

I thought the right had RH threads and the left has LH threads to keep each from loosening in the wind? Not gonna go pull off a mirror to check right now though.. lol
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yes they are both RH mirrors. I have not been able to locate any LH ones lately. You sometimes just have to be patient and someone will post some NOS stuff out there. There are some LH ones available just not for the 80 model. For instance this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-83-YAMA...53f4b0&vxp=mtr or this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-GENUI...debf4e&vxp=mtr. Notice how the mirror stem connects to the actual mirror is different then the RH ones I posted. I don't know what year they changed. The 80 model had the first ones I posted. In reality the LH one is probably better because it can be more easily adjusted. If you are not a purist like me you can pick up many aftermarket mirrors for a lot less money that would look just fine. These for example .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Mirror...ac8ac2&vxp=mtr or these ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-OEM-Rep...4326c6&vxp=mtr.
                            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              I thought the right had RH threads and the left has LH threads to keep each from loosening in the wind? Not gonna go pull off a mirror to check right now though.. lol
                              Nope, the right side is left handed and the left side is right handed so that if hit something with the mirror, or drop your bike at the gas pump , it'll unscrew instead of breaking.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X