How to clean final drive and shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean final drive and shaft

I am going to be changing the rear tire on my 79 Special.

What is the best way and/or products to use to clean the final drive and shaft splines while I have the tire out.

If there is anything to look for or do at this time, I would like to know that too.

Also wondering what size the middle drive filler bolt is? That looks all rounded out, so I will be replacing that as well.

Thank you in advance,

Steve
    79 XS1100 SF

Hey there Steve,

The grease is fairly thick, so I just use a bunch of paper towels to wipe/remove the old grease from the junction. The things to look for are signs of worn teeth and splines of the driveshaft and final drive gear. As long as they look good, then just put plenty of grease back in there, all around the driveshaft splines and inside the FD area. Don't forget the spring. Someone posted some photos recently about what worn splines look like, a search should reveal it, or hopefully that poster will post the link to the thread, or just repost the photos again. The type of grease is your choice, folks recommend and I think the manual states Molybdenum(sp?) type...I think it sticks to the metal parts better, or doesn't break down as easily under stress/heat, etc.!

However, since this process is recommended with every rear tire change, I just use regular bearing grease since I'll be replacing it every few years anyways, and not putting 10's of thousands of miles on it before a check/change!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wow how time flies, here's the thread from Crazy Steve showing extremely worn splines!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...eshaft+splines
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Don't bother checking and cleaning the left side bearing, while you have the wheel out.
        James can probably come up with more bearings.

I use gas over a large drain pan, and wash all the old grease out. Done outside, on a nice day. Gas fumes are heavier than air, so don't use it in a confined space. A squirt type oil can with a small hole allows you to squirt gas into the left side bearing after you pull the center race out, and a tooth brush gets into the rollers. Get ALL the old grease out, rinse with gas till clean. Blow it out with air, regrease and leave James holding his stock.
        Now, some folks are going to scream and shout about using gas as a solvent, but they might want to review vintage English motorcycle maintainence manuals, which all call for cleaning with petrol. You just have to be a bit smarter than petrol, and all will be well.

CZ

ps You don't have to tell OSHA what you want the gas for.

Comment

Hi Unicorn,
          Having just done mine. I use the recommended Moly Grease.
          As already mentioned papertowels are good for getting most off. I used some Brake cleaner from an aerosol can with a basin under to catch the drips.
          The previous time I used too much grease and found it spread all over the inside of the cover and dripped down onto the wheel. Better to use only what is needed and get it in the "teeth".
          May as well change the rear drive oil while you are there. IF you choose synthetic the second number must be high like 85/140
          book calls for conventional gear oil 75/90.
          Make sure you can remove that Top (filler) plug on both drive and middle gear before draining.
          CZ is on about Wheel Bearings another hot topic
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post

Now, some folks are going to scream and shout about using gas as a solvent, but they might want to review vintage English motorcycle maintainence manuals, which all call for cleaning with petrol. You just have to be a bit smarter than petrol, and all will be well.

CZ

ps You don't have to tell OSHA what you want the gas for.

Correct, only... comparing the petrol to what they had vs the science experiment that we now have.. I used to use gas as a solvent when you could wash your hands afterwards and be rid of it. Now you get a drop on your hands and you get to smell it for several days..
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

CZ
              That stuff used to have tetraethyl lead in it. That is not something you want in contact with your skin. I used to work pumping gasoline when I was a kid. Nobody ever told me that leaded gasoline would kill me. I remember there was a sign on the pumps that read "CONTAINS TETRAETHYL LEAD". I don't remember any warnings on it, and yes, I used it as solvent.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                That stuff used to have tetraethyl lead in it. That is not something you want in contact with your skin. I used to work pumping gasoline when I was a kid. Nobody ever told me that leaded gasoline would kill me. I remember there was a sign on the pumps that read "CONTAINS TETRAETHYL LEAD". I don't remember any warnings on it, and yes, I used it as solvent.
                How in the world did mankind survive before the EPA?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  How in the world did mankind survive before the EPA?
                  ........by cleaning parts bare-handed in lead-fuel and trying to pick-up balls of mercury with hands for entertainment.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Blow it out with air, regrease and leave James holding his stock.
                    yeah...all two of them........

Once you've cleaned it, as per the above procedure, check the bearing for rough spots, crunchy bits, loose tolerance or even falling apart. If none of those, then absolutely regrease it and it'll be fine. If you find it is not satisfactory, let me know.....
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thank you all for you advice. I hope to be starting the project Wed or Thurs. and weather permitting have it complete over the weekend.

I hope to get the wheel off one of these evenings.

I will let you know if I run into any problems.
                      79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        And looky there, you are still here! Maybe they were just trying to land a superfluous job at OSHA.
                        CZ

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          ........by cleaning parts bare-handed in lead-fuel and trying to pick-up balls of mercury with hands for entertainment.
                          And making pennies look like dimes by rubbing them with mercury.

On the other hand Brant, there are those who might look at us and think there was some validity to the warning.

CZ

Comment

Just a suggestion, use mineral spirits to clean the parts, not quit as dangerous but more effective.

I also use a stiff bristle brush and for small parts a toothbrush.

YMMV
                            79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                            73 & 74 RD 350's
                            73 Honda CL 450
                            Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

To clean the grease you might want to try 91% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure if you use it to not let it stand on any painted surface. It might also remove the paint. I do know it cuts right through grease cleans surfaces very well and dries quickly. I was able to find it at Walgreens and was not too terribly costly. A good stiff paint brush can be used with it to clean with. Get as much of the old grease off with paper towels as you can and finish the job with the alcohol and brush.
                              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X