kick start lever 79 xs1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kick start lever 79 xs1100 special

I am told that the 79 xs1100 special came with the kick start lever stored somewhere on the bike.

Does anybody know anything about this and where it might be located?

Of if there is one available somewhere?

Thank you,

Steve
    79 XS1100 SF

starter lever.

Located ahead of the rear wheel under the air box area right side
    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
    85 Honda v65 Magna
    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
    02 Road King (retirement gift)
    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Hi, Steve -

If the kick start lever is not there, and you still need one, contact member andreashweiss here on the forum.

He has lots of parts, and will most likely be able to hook you up ...
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Thank you. Found it. Prospective buyer wanted to make sure it was there, but couldn't remember where it should be located.
        79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Is the xs1100 a hard motorcycle to kickstart? I would very much like to add one to my motorcycle however I am 150lbs. How hard is it to turn over?
          79 XS11 to be café`d

Comment

Originally posted by iBoesen View Post
            Is the xs1100 a hard motorcycle to kickstart? I would very much like to add one to my motorcycle however I am 150lbs. How hard is it to turn over?
            In a nutshell, yes. Kick it a few times you will have a newfound appreciation for the starter button.

It is supposed to be there as an emergency starter but if you don't have enough battery to turn the starter motor you will not get the bike started with the kickstarter anyway.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I've never found them difficult to kick over but it all seems pretty pointless, given that, if the battery gets too low (exactly when a kickstarter would be handy) the TCI won't fire and no amount of kicking will get it to do so. So, effectively, the kickstarter is really more of a standby in the the event of starter motor failure.......most of them have run for 30 years or more....
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

A few years ago I had a weak battery that wouldn't start it. I pushed it, hopped on, put it in 2nd & popped the clutch and it started right up & I drove home. This happened a couple times that summer. By the time you could get the emergency kick start out of the bike you could be driving down the road by push starting it. YMMV.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

My '79 Special lost the starter button, necessitating use of it to get it going.

I parked it shortly after and started reading here and buying parts on Ebay in anticipation of the other surprises I know I'm going to find and mods I want to make.

So much for this riding season.
                  79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                  73 & 74 RD 350's
                  73 Honda CL 450
                  Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Do you want those buttons in aluminum or plastic?

http://www.freewebs.com/kibokojoe/
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

I've read a few times on here that you can't kickstart these bikes coz the battery power will be down. A battery can be low so it won't turn over a starter but still showing 12 volts, the TCI doesn't take much current so a low battery could still run the sparking, just not sparks and starter both together. Thats when the kicker comes in.

I've used many many times in the 30 something years of owning XS11's and find it very easy though I am 200lbs.
                      Tom
                      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                        I've read a few times on here that you can't kickstart these bikes coz the battery power will be down. A battery can be low so it won't turn over a starter but still showing 12 volts, the TCI doesn't take much current so a low battery could still run the sparking, just not sparks and starter both together. Thats when the kicker comes in.

I've used many many times in the 30 something years of owning XS11's and find it very easy though I am 200lbs.
                        +1 on using the kick start. It's saved my tail a few times. When a battery goes away it loses amperage, the voltage generally remains. 10.5v is all it takes to fire the TCI.

My kicker is in my fairing.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Can I add that kick starting is also cool.
                          78 E

Comment

Working...
                          X