Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heli-Coil or Tapping Cylinder Head Exhaust Stud Hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heli-Coil or Tapping Cylinder Head Exhaust Stud Hole?

So, I see why the nut fell off, hole is stripped out. So, how do I proceed? Helicoil insert, or tap for next bigger size? Current thread is M8x1.25.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Helicoil will probably be your best bet.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Did the nut strip or did the hole that the exhaust stud screws into strip and the whole stud fall out?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The stud threads in, so the threads are not completely blew-out. But, when I tighten down the nut on the stud, it pops off after it's on tight.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hi Ian,
          I am still confused after reading your post. IF the stud is falling out (loose) of the head a helicoil may be the solution. If the nut is falling off the stud examine the nut and stud threads and replace which ever is warn.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Sorry Phil, I knew that would be confusing. I guess the hole is stripped.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Helicoil is where it's at, IMO.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                Sorry Phil, I knew that would be confusing. I guess the hole is stripped.
                Hi Ian,
                HeliCoil and a fresh stud should fix it. My stud chose to break instaed which is also a big PITA. I suspect many of these studs have been overtightened during their long lives.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Well, as a TEMP fix to get me through, I put loc-tite on the threads of the stud, screwed it in, then put the nut on tight enough to not pop the stud out, and then put a bead of "The Right Stuff" around the nut so I would not lose it. I just don't want to undertake any projects with the bike right now while we only have a month or two of riding left.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    Well, as a TEMP fix to get me through, I put loc-tite on the threads of the stud, screwed it in, then put the nut on tight enough to not pop the stud out, and then put a bead of "The Right Stuff" around the nut so I would not lose it. I just don't want to undertake any projects with the bike right now while we only have a month or two of riding left.
                    I wonder if JBWeld Cold Cure might do the trick? I replaced all the old studs on my current project but, of course, there had to be one that wouldn't come out. It snapped. I drilled it out but it was tricky. A new stainless stud managed to grip about 1/4 way down the stud hole and is solid. I took it out and then put JBWeld on it and replaced it and alsO filled in the damaged part of the threaded hole with JBWeld. Worth a try?
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I ended-up throwing a heli-coil insert in there. Had to pull the #3 pipe completely out, and pulled #4 away from the port to get the drill in there. Only hard part was getting the exhaust back in the ports. Had to use a jack to push-up on the header pipe, and it popped-in. Used a Socket head cap screw because I was too lazy to do the stud/nut combo.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

I did a job on Great Ranger similar to James' with partial success in the drilling out the extractor laden stud and wound up adding JB Weld to hold it in better. I think its going to hold up. Time will tell but that engine has 72k miles on it so its had a good life. There are many more engines out there.

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                        X