Stretched timing chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
    I am going to try and come to N.C. Next weekend for a few hours, but it won't be cold for anyone to hear then.
    If you come to the Iron Horse on Saturday or Sunday for a few hours during the day, you'll likely find no one there. We're going on a tour, both days. We'll be filtering into the lodge before dinner on both days. Just suck it up and come for the weekend. You might need your tent and sleeping bag as beds may be sold out. Check with the IH. You won't find more XS11 experts in one place...ever.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The wife doesn't ride and i can't be gone that long.

Guess I'll stay home and work on the chest of drawers that I am supposed to be building. My daughter's wedding is on the 11th...

I didn't hear it this morning when cold but after work with it sitting in the sun it made the random noise. When I get a chance I will pull the valve cover and check the tightness of the chain. Also tap on the exhaust as suggested.
      79 XS11

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        Hmmm.. A warm chain would become even more loose.
        Agreed with that.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Could be the HyVo chain slapping around in there (common occurrence) and when the motor is warmed up and running smoothly, no more slap. Sometimes syncing the carbs will quiet it down, YMMV
          I heard that on top of the crank case once. A definate "snap" sound between the oil sensor and the crank breather. I am only saying this so that the differences can be distinguished.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The wife doesn't ride and i can't be gone that long.

Guess I'll stay home and work on the chest of drawers that I am supposed to be building. My daughter's wedding is on the 11th...

I didn't hear it this morning when cold but after work with it sitting in the sun it made the random noise. When I get a chance I will pull the valve cover and check the tightness of the chain. Also tap on the exhaust as suggested.

Pulling 4 simple screws to the timing cover would be easiest check...

besides tapping on some pipes.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Rolled bike out of basement and pulled plugs, I would say that they are fine, see attachments.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ps32b58627.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ps896447d8.jpg

I made two videos with no slap sound but can't get them to upload to photobucket. It did have the sound yesterday after work sitting in the sun?

I also tapped with a dead blow hammer.....solid!

Oh well.....
              79 XS11

Comment

Those plugs look about perfect.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Any special way to load a video from IPad to photobucket?
                  79 XS11

Comment

Any special way to load a video from IPad to photobucket?
                    Yeah, get a real computer!

Seriously, I don't know what video format photobucket accepts? I know youtube uses the MP4 format, and if a different format it uploaded, it converts it to MP4. I would hope that an iPad would also use the MP4(iTunes) format, but it might use the MOV quicktime format?? I have a program on my desktop system that allows conversions into a variety of "I"device formats, which are in a variety of screen sizes.

I don't use an iPad, so I can't provide any more technical advice regarding your problem.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                    X