Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Speedometer part

Hello,

I read the forum almost everyday, but I do not post very often. I have learned a lot just by reading about everyone else’s problems! But now I have a problem and I can not find a solution in the forum. I need you help.

My XJ speedometer's odometer (speedometer works fine) does not work. I pulled the speedometer and sent it to Portland Speedometer shop (found this shop in the forum, they are awesome and very helpful, so far) in Portland OR. The worm gear (it is about 2" long & 1/4 in diameter with teeth on one end and teeth in the center of he shaft) is bad. Portland Speedometer is having a lot of trouble finding a replacement worm gear. They also still have the speedometer and are still trying to find a worm gear.

First questions: Are the XS and XJ speedometers the same internally? Are there any other bikes out there with the same internal XJ speedometer?

Second: Were can one get a new worm gear? Most speedometer (I called at least 20 speedometer shops) shop will not touch a Japanese bike. And they will not help with parts. Portland Speedometer shop is the only shop that has been helpful.

Third: If I can not get a new worm gear (I have not found any speedometers in several salvage yards I looked into) does anyone have a speedometer they would like to sell or get rid of?

Thanks in advance. This forum rock and has been very helpful for me.

Norm
    Norm
    XJ1100
    nhs1@comcast.net

parts

I can't help you with the small part, but here is a link that connects you with a large number of bike bone yards and will submit your parts request to them. The individual yards will then contact your email if they have one and will let you know how much.
    I've bought several pieces (including a speedometer) using this service.

http://www.motosalvage.com/

Good luck.
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Speedo Option

On my Honda 500 I had the opposite problem. The odometer works but the speedo is screwed up. I installed a bicycle electronic speedo.(computer) It consists of a magnetic button that you secure to the front wheel. A magnetic pick up sensor secured to the lower fork leg.(slider) And a LCG head that is about the size of a large wrist watch.
      It cost less than $40.00 cdn for the whole package. Can be programed easily and shows; speed (mph or kph). odometer, average speed over trip, highest top speed attained during trip, and has a clock,(12 or 24 hr). I think it even has more features but have not explored further than what I covered.
      The one I purchased is a Vetta #RT55. You could check out there web site @ www.vetta.com. They have several models with a variety of features.
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyk
      82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

XJ speedo

One major difference in the XJ speedo...the odometer numbers are spaced wider than the XS. As far as I know the other parts are the same. Early XS speedos read to 160 MPH, the XJ eads to 85. This is a calibration difference only, so if you find an XS speedo to rob for parts you should be OK.

Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

speed-o

i have a used one if interested contact me at chevy45412001@yahoo.com . Not sure what to get for it only has 8,000 something miles on it.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Sorry to revive such an old post. Did anyone ever figure out if the worm gear is the same for the Odometers? I have an 82 XJ that has this exact problem. Speedo works, ODO does not. Worm gear is worn out. Anyone have a Speedo for an XJ for sale? It dosent mater if it is in MPH or KMH.

Darrell

Comment

Thread highjack!

Sorry to highjack the thread but I I have a speedo prob as well. My XJ reads 5mph fast. Is the speedo adjustable?
              JimBoReeno
              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
              2000 Indian Chief
              Millennium Edition

Comment

I have two or three xs1100 std speedo's left in the parts pile. The 240KPH/160MPH. Decent enough to use or rob parts from $25.00 includes shipping in continental USA andreas

Comment

xj cluster

i have XJ speedo cluster speedo does not work though. not sure about the rest of the parts? (kept breaking speedo cables) .25 also includes shipping in US of A.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Chevy: Is it just the speedo or the whole guage cluster? If the speedo is out you can look at the back and see the worm gear clearly. I asume it is in MPH. Not sure if the worm gear is interchangeable with one in KMH

Andreas: the ones you have are probably in KMH. Are any of them apart enough to see the gear in question? Are you capable of posting a pic? That way I can tell if the gear is the one I need.

Thanks for the help
                    Darrell

Comment

hole cluster

mine is the whole thing still together.
                      1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Chevy: PM me your address and I will forward payment. I have sent you a PM with shipping details.

Thanks
                        Darrell

Comment

Working...
                        X