Tire wear...Shinko 712

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire wear...Shinko 712

1 year on the tire 4404 miles...looks like I could get a couple thousand more miles...what do y'all think...should I ride this tire to and around XSSE?
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Come early, so you can buy a tire in Robbinsville. You'd better hope Wheeler's Performance has a 17" tire in stock. I hope your trip west isn't in the rain.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Come early, so you can buy a tire in Robbinsville. You'd better hope Wheeler's Performance has a 17" tire in stock. I hope your trip west isn't in the rain.
      so I take it you think this tire isnt long for this world?....I'm wondering if it wouldnt be better to order the tire and install it beforehand...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

It looks like it's on the wear bars to me, or very close. Bring that tire and you'll miss the ride.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

cheap insurance

For $65 thats cheap insurance....no shipping charges...coming from Chaparral Motorsports...ordered.... Thanks Marty... it looks like it might make it but I'll err on the side of caution...
          Last edited by madmax-im; 09-03-2014, 06:11 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That's how my rear is looking. Definitely will be looking into a new rear in the Spring. Running Metzelers, and will be buying another.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Kinda like the fuel tank BNE........'runs farther on the top half than the bottom half'.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                It looks like it's on the wear bars to me, or very close. Bring that tire and you'll miss the ride.

Naah Marty,

He'll be mostly using the SIDES of the tire at the rally and he's got lots of tread there!! If it was an OLD dry tire, then yeah, it probably would wear down just on the ride out there from NC., but being only 1 year old, it looks like it would easily get him there and back. He'll be mostly using the edges during the rally.

Bne, you need to make more turns!!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The 712 usually only lasts me about 3000. Once they get that far down they go pretty fast.

Good tires for the money but they don't last long and the sidewall is too flexible. Feels squishy under me.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

well 65 bucks is cheap enough...TC around here most of the riding is in the flatlands...I still need to ride 700 miles of slab roads to and from the rally... ...over that weekend I'd expect 400-500 miles of twisties...in the pic...you can see the wear bars...close enough for me...I never expected high mileage from this tire ...unlike Greg this tire feels fine to me...
                    its already in transit....
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Like I said Ben, a good tire for the price.

You put a new unmounted 712 and a Dunlop Elite 3 next to each other and compare the side wall and you'll see what I mean.

When I hit a curve hard on a 712 I can feel it lay over and get soft. Not dangerous and the tire is real grippy but I just don't like the feel. I don't get that with an E3.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Kinda like the fuel tank BNE........'runs farther on the top half than the bottom half'.
                        yeppers...these are soft compound tires so they wear quickly but the handling and grip when new i really like...last year I thought I was having rear suspension issues but it really was just the rear tire. When I replaced it with the Shinko all the weird feelings went away and they bike feels pretty well planted leaned over at speed...so it does help one's confidence to have fresh rubber...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Ben, scarlet `s rear looks a little worse than that. I too ride mostly slab and the shinko lasts about 6k total for me. I haven't decided which bike I'm taking to se, but if i take scarlet, I'm replacing my rear too. Thanks for the info on that deal on no shipping.
                          A few weeks ago on an on-ramp it slipped just a little and scared the hell out of me.
                          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                          The Green Monster
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                          Got him in '04.
                          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                          Scarlet
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                          Hugo
                          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks BNE for posting this. I too have a 712 mounted and am wondering what to do. Mine looks better than yours but with 8,000km (5,000 miles) on it already I am considering a change.
                            If it helps I measured the tread when new. 6.5mm ( 4.1 to the wear bar)
                            but Greg's comment echos my concern about the second half wearing faster
                            than the first.
                            I am envious of your $65 deal.closer to $90 for me.
                            Will you mount it your self? how about balancing ?
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              Thanks BNE for posting this. I too have a 712 mounted and am wondering what to do. Mine looks better than yours but with 8,000km (5,000 miles) on it already I am considering a change.
                              If it helps I measured the tread when new. 6.5mm ( 4.1 to the wear bar)
                              but Greg's comment echos my concern about the second half wearing faster
                              than the first.
                              I am envious of your $65 deal.closer to $90 for me.
                              Will you mount it your self? how about balancing ?
                              Phil
                              For balancing AND flat protection, RideOn is your friend. Most all dealer and bike shops offer that as an alternative, upon request. If mounting yourself, add 4oz. to each new tire mounted AFTER airing up to seat bead, and all air is out of tire. I have used it for some time as opposed to the rim marring the weights create on both my ST with radials mounted and the Venturer with bias-ply ContiGo's. Both ride as smooth as glass, and haven't yet had the flat issue, but have seen it demonstrated in person......it works.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X