Replacing petcocks on 80 SG Special Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing petcocks on 80 SG Special Tank

Hey all, so my tank came back from powder coating, went to put some fuel in it and now the petcocks are leaking like crazy! Found some universal replacements on partsnmore.com
    Since i am running this tank bypassing the prime port on both petcocks is there a way to change the petcocks to a single output? New rubber is something to the tune of 30 dollars a side for these, the universal ones are only 7 dollars a side.
    Wasnt sure if anyone else has taken one of these special tanks with dual outlet petcocks and replaced with single outlet petcocks.

No longer using the octi - bypassing prime outlet on both sides by tying them together.
    Thanks!
    80 SG

New rubber is something like $30 for both.

http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/th...PETCOCK/Detail

I run a vacuum shutoff on mine, so I won't try to advise on the modification.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by justinc1081 View Post
      Hey all, so my tank came back from powder coating, went to put some fuel in it and now the petcocks are leaking like crazy! Found some universal replacements on partsnmore.com
      Since i am running this tank bypassing the prime port on both petcocks is there a way to change the petcocks to a single output? New rubber is something to the tune of 30 dollars a side for these, the universal ones are only 7 dollars a side.
      Wasnt sure if anyone else has taken one of these special tanks with dual outlet petcocks and replaced with single outlet petcocks.

No longer using the octi - bypassing prime outlet on both sides by tying them together.
      Thanks!
      Own a Standard and not the Special,,but as far as the petcocks the petcocks themselves...NA as far as what you would like to do.
      Let me ask you this: Do you think the cost difference is worth the risk of becoming a moving maltof cocktail?.........something' to seriously think about .
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well being a rolling fireball is definately not in the plans
        Thanks for the great find from Georgefix's site, i am going to add that site to my shopping favorites. 30 for both petcocks is an easier pill to swallow for sure
        Thanks again for quick replies!
        80 SG

Comment

While you've got those petcocks apart, you might want to look at this...
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35443
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

If you want, you could eliminate the right tap with a blockoff plate on the tank and just use the left, still plenty of fuel flowing for all 4 carbs. I run that setup with an aftermarket inline vacuum fuel shutoff valve and a filter, simple foolproof setup.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X