car timing light on yamaha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car timing light on yamaha?

Can you hook a car tach dwell meter to a XS1100 Yamaha and how to hook it up?
    Till then
    79 XS1100 SPECIAL (2) 1100 wings- 82 HONDA CX 500 TURBO (2)77 GOLDWING 86 HONDA NIGHT HAWK 84 HONDA 700 83 nighthawk 650 SC-INTERCEPTOR 2 1975 RUPP CENTAURS VW TRIKE (2) 77 YAMAHA 750 TRIPLE 84 YAMAHA 600 83 GS 750 SUZUKI 70? CB350 Honda scrambler- THATS ALL THIS WEEK MR.BILL

Yes you can.

Stick a wire/metal probe into the back side of the gray or orange wire where it plugs into the TCI, then connect the (+) sensor wire of the gauge to that wire, and then just connect the (-) to a ground. The readings of the speed will be 1/2 IIRC. I'll find my thread about the Automotive Race Alternator I attached where I show checking the Rpms with an analog type dwell/tach/voltmeter! Gotta go to dinner now, though!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

And on a further note to what TC said, if you are going to use the meter often then I would install a wire 'take-off' and route it to the right side by the fuse panel then you can simply plug your meter in. Sorry, I do not have a picture.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Yes you can.

Stick a wire/metal probe into the back side of the gray or orange wire where it plugs into the TCI, then connect the (+) sensor wire of the gauge to that wire, and then just connect the (-) to a ground. The readings of the speed will be 1/2 IIRC. I'll find my thread about the Automotive Race Alternator I attached where I show checking the Rpms with an analog type dwell/tach/voltmeter! Gotta go to dinner now, though!

T.C.
        its an old balkamp NAPA auto parts meter it was the best they had back in the days, I kinda remember using it on a bike with points so that was easy to figure out, I just don't want to hook it up and burn out something. A picture would be a great help so I don't screw it up .
        Thank you Mr.Bill Till then
        79 XS1100 SPECIAL (2) 1100 wings- 82 HONDA CX 500 TURBO (2)77 GOLDWING 86 HONDA NIGHT HAWK 84 HONDA 700 83 nighthawk 650 SC-INTERCEPTOR 2 1975 RUPP CENTAURS VW TRIKE (2) 77 YAMAHA 750 TRIPLE 84 YAMAHA 600 83 GS 750 SUZUKI 70? CB350 Honda scrambler- THATS ALL THIS WEEK MR.BILL

Comment

Yes, on my SUN tach/dwell, the red lead goes on the + batt terminal, the black lead goes to the TCI, Orange OR Grey.
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Mr Bill,

Here's the photo showing my old Actron Dwell/Tach/VOM,

The RPM scale for the 4 cylinder is the top white scale....but it's showing 1/2 the actual rpm....~1200 instead of the shown ~2500 of the OEM tach.

And Randy/Davinci and I had this discussion before. He connected his meter's (+) to his battery positive, and then his meter (-) to the gray/orange lead. This allowed the orange/gray lead to act as the trigger for the meter to count.

I connected the (+) of the meter to the gray/orange wire....because it HAS voltage in it coming from the coils into the TCI, which also was enough juice to power the gauge, and so my meter (-) was just on ground. As Davinci has pointed out, providing a separate/second path for the grey/orange wire to travel could weaken the actual signal which might cause a misfire...but mine seemed to work just fine. SO....you can probably connect it either way. Not sure how much DC current will come from and thru the meter if connected to the battery and how much will get into the TCI connecting the way he did??? YMMV, try whichever method/connections you want, just be aware that the gauge will read 1/2 the actual rpm speed on the 4 cylinder mode.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X