Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh Holy Hell, Mid Drive Destroyed (And I'm Back)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Holy Hell, Mid Drive Destroyed (And I'm Back)

Wow, I haven't been on here for a while.

I returned to Baltimore, MD from Argentina a month or so ago and finally got the bike back on the road. She was awesome until my first longer trip.

Long story short, rear wheel lock up at 40mph, managed to keep here up all the way to a stop, cool Harley guy helped me out in the middle of NJ, and towed the thing back to MD.

Just got it apart and whoa look at this:

Well I learned the old check your fluids lesson the hard way. Between the tow and renting a truck to haul it back it was a $900 dollar punishment. At least I didn't dump the bike or worse.

Anyway, check your fluids guys. Don't become a statistic like me :P
    '79 XS1100 Special "2-Up Cafe"

Never Stop Building
    Custom fabrication. Bespoke furniture. Clean code. An obsession with the well-made.

neverstopbuilding.com - Facebook - YouTube - Instagram

And oil is so cheap too...... A good lesson for everyone, thanks to you being so open about it! Many people might just have kept quiet about it!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Hey, Jason -

Nice job keeping her upright after the wheel lock-up ... it could have been much worse!

Glad you're OK ...
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
      X