TCI check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCI check?

Hey bros, another member is interested in a TCI I bought a while back. I started my bike and ran it a couple of minutes, shut it off, switched to another TCI, and started it up again. Same start up, same idle. Is that a sufficient check that it is okay? Do I need to run the bike around, or is starting and running enough?
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Hey Loho,

I would let the bike cool down first, then put in the to be sold TCI, then start to warmed up, and then spritze headers to ensure that it's hitting on all 4. These bikes are known to run on just 1 coil/2 cylinders in neutral, and since you had already warmed it up with your known good TCI it would be easier for a partially failed TCI to be able to start the bike and have it running albeit on only 2 cylinders instead of all 4. JAT!.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

LoHo,

To add on to what T.C. said: the TCI can work when it's cold and at low speed. When it gets hot it'll start to 'lose' two or more cylinders as the speed picks up, then it's a half-fast TCI.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

......and all that's needed to get around any generic HD.........just couldn't resist .....
        must be the low bottomed out altitude down here in GA. .......or lack of the RockyMountain ...HIGH.......but we hear Colo. calling........
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
        X